Step-by-Step Guide on how to cook Instant Pot Green Beans. 2 quick and easy ways to cook fresh green beans in Instant Pot with few healthy ingredients. Enjoy perfectly cooked steam green beans or sauteed green beans with garlic for your next dinner, potluck, party, holiday meals, or BBQ.
Green beans are also called string beans, snap beans, or French beans. They’re a delicious and nutrient-packed legumes full of vitamins and minerals.
Whole green beans are often eaten fresh (not dried). But you can also find canned and frozen green beans in the market.
My dad used to grow green beans in our little backyard. Every year, we’d have an abundant harvest of fresh green beans. And the easiest yet tasty ways we enjoy them are steam green beans and sautéed green beans with garlic.
Green Beans Instant Pot Recipe
Steam Green Beans: Pressure cooking green beans in Instant Pot allows you to keep their satisfying crunch texture, and maximize their natural flavors and nutrients. One of healthiest way to enjoy fresh green beans!
Sauteed Green Beans: The sauteed garlic and our signature fish sauce are simple yet tasty ingredients that complement the green beans. Though their flavors are strong, they won’t cover but rather enhance the natural flavors and aroma of the fresh beans.
Don’t just save these tasty yet healthy pressure cooker green beans for Thanksgiving holiday!
How to Cook Instant Pot Green Beans
Prepare ingredients for cooking green beans in Instant Pot.
Tips for Buying Green Beans: Try to use the best quality fresh green beans that have a bright green color, no bruises or brown spots; firm, not flimsy, and “snap” when you bend them; full of moisture not dried.
Fish Sauce (Optional): It’ll add a kick of tasty umami to the sautéed green beans. Don’t worry! A high-quality fish sauce won’t make your green beans taste fishy!
This Red Boat 40N Fish Sauce is still our favorite. Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce is another solid choice.
Tools for Green Beans Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (6qt)
- Steamer Basket or Steamer Rack
Pressure Cook Fresh Green Beans
First, pour ½ cup (125ml) cold tap water in Instant Pot.
Place steamer rack or steamer basket in Instant Pot.
Then, put fresh green beans on steamer basket.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook fresh green beans with Low Pressure for 0 (zero) to 2 minutes, then Quick Release.
- Quick Release: When pressure cooking ends, immediately turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to release all the pressure.
- Crunch Texture: Low Pressure for 0 (zero) minutes, then Quick Release
- Tender Texture: Low Pressure for 2 minutes, then Quick Release
Note: 0 (zero) minute pressure cooking time is not a typo! The fresh green beans will be cooked during the “coming up to pressure” time.
Once the Floating Valve drops, remove the lid.
Serve Steam Green Beans
Drain the water, then set aside the green beans in Instant Pot to air dry.
These pressure cooker green beans are ready to serve!
Option 1 – Steam Green Beans: Season green beans with salt and black pepper, then serve.
Option 2 – Sauteed Green Beans: Don’t season the green beans at this step, and proceed to Step 3 below.
Optional – Sauté Green Beans and Garlic
Remove the hot water and towel dry the inner pot.
Press “Saute” button to “Sauté More” function to heat up your Instant Pot.
It’ll switch to “ON” on the screen. Wait until it says “HOT” on the screen.
Add 1 tbsp (15ml) peanut oil or olive oil in the Instant Pot’s inner pot. Make sure you cover the whole bottom with oil.
Add minced garlic in Instant Pot, then sauté garlic for roughly 30 seconds. Don’t let the garlic burn.
Add the air-dried green beans in Instant Pot, then saute green beans for 30 seconds.
Green beans go very well with fish sauce! Season the fresh green beans with ~1.5 tsp to 2 tsp fish sauce and fine sea salt to taste. Then, saute for another 30 seconds.
Serve Sauteed Green Beans
Serve the sauteed green beans with garlic immediately with your main and side dishes!
What Goes Well with Green Beans
Whether you’re serving steam green beans or sauteed green beans, green beans go well with many main and side dishes.
You can serve these tasty green beans as a healthy vegetable side dish for dinners and parties. It goes well with meaty dishes, seafood, pasta, or rice dishes.
- Chicken: Instant Pot Whole Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Thighs;
- Beef: Grilled steak, Roast Beef, Umami Pot Roast, Beef Stew, Meatloaf
- Pork: Instant Pot Pork Chops, Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Pasta or Rice Dishes: Instant Pot Spaghetti, Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
You can also add other sides like Rice, Instant Pot Quinoa, Roasted Potatoes, or Corn on the Cob to enjoy a more complete meal.
Enjoy your Instant Pot Green Beans!
Instant Pot Green Beans
- ½ pound (227g) green beans
- ½ cup (125ml) cold tap water
Optional Stir Frying Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) peanut oil or olive oil
- 4 (16g) garlic cloves , minced
- Season with Salt & Fish sauce
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Pressure Cook Green Beans: Pour ½ cup (125ml) cold water in Instant Pot. Place steamer basket in Instant Pot. Put green beans on steamer basket. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure Cook at Low Pressure for 0 (zero) [crunchy] to 2 minutes [tender], then Quick Release. Once the Floating Valve drops, remove the lid immediately.
- Serve Steam Green Beans: Drain water, then set aside green beans to air dry. Option 1 - Steam Green Beans: If you're serving at this step, season with salt and black pepper. Then enjoy~Option 2 - Sauteed Green Beans: If you're proceeding with the optional stir-frying step, don't season the green beans at this step, and proceed to Step 3 below.
- Optional - Sauté Garlic & Green Beans: Remove the hot water and towel dry the inner pot. Press “Saute” button to “Sauté More” function to heat up your Instant Pot. Wait until it says “HOT” on the screen.Add 1 tbsp (15ml) peanut oil or olive oil in the pot. Ensure to coat the oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Add in minced garlic, sauté for roughly 30 seconds. Don't let the garlic burn. Add in air-dried green beans, then saute for 30 seconds. Season with ~1.5 tsp to 2 tsp fish sauce and fine sea salt to taste. Saute for another 30 seconds. Amy + Jacky's Tips: The garlic should be golden brown at this point and very flavorful.
- Serve Sauteed Green Beans: Serve the flavorful crunchy sauteed green beans with garlic immediately! Enjoy~
Other Instant Pot Vegetable Recipes
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!