Learn how to cook Instant Pot Kale! One of the healthiest, nutrient-dense food. Quick & easy way to make tasty Kale Sausage as a delicious, healthy Instant Pot vegetable side dish.
What is Kale?
Kale, aka leaf cabbage, is a green, leafy, cruciferous vegetable.
It belongs to the same family as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, and cauliflower.
It’s one of the healthiest food! Kale is rich in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and a wide range of other nutrients.
Types of Kale: Curly Kale (most common), Dinosaur Kale, Red Russian Kale, Redbor Kale.
Colors: The colors can vary depending on the type of kale. It ranges from bright green, dark green, blue-green, to purple or reddish.
Taste: The flavors can differ depending on the type of kale. Generally, kale tastes bitter-sweet and earthy.
Texture: Generally, the leaves are delicate, and they’re either smooth or curly. For some people, the stems or stalks can be too tough and fibrous to eat. If you like, you can remove them before cooking.
Ways to Cook Kale: You can boil, blanch, braise, saute, steam, stir-fry kale. You can use kale in soups, casseroles, salads, or smoothies. You can also eat kale raw, or make kale chips in the oven or air fryer!
Step-by-Step Guide: Instant Pot Kale
Here are the ingredients for cooking Kale in Instant Pot:
*Note: Bacon or smoked sausage work equally well for this kale recipe. If you’re using bacon, you don’t need to add olive for the sauteeing step.
Tools for Instant Pot Kale
First, cut kale into thirds. If you like, remove the stems.
Bacon: If you’re using bacon, cut them into bite-size pieces.
Saute Sausages or Bacon in Instant Pot
Press “Saute” button to “Sauté More” function to heat up Instant Pot. It’ll switch to “ON” on the screen.
Wait until it says “HOT” on the screen (takes roughly 8 minutes). Make sure Instant Pot is as hot as it can be to induce a Maillard reaction.
*If you’re using Sausage: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in the Instant Pot’s inner pot. Make sure you cover the whole bottom of the inner pot with oil.
*If you’re using Bacon: You don’t need the olive oil.
Now, add ~1lb sliced sausages in Instant Pot, then saute for 4 minutes.
Saute Onions & Spices in Instant Pot
Now, add onion slices in Instant Pot, then saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in minced garlic, then saute for 30 seconds.
Deglaze Instant Pot
Pour ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot (as shown in below photo).
Pressure Cook Kale
Now, add 1lb kale in Instant Pot.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Kale with a bit of Chew: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 2 minutes, then immediately Quick Release
- Tender Kale: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes, then immediately Quick Release
*Quick Release = Carefully turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to release all the pressure.
When Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
Season and Serve Kale
Turn off the heat (press “Cancel” button), then give everything a quick mix.
Finally, taste the kale and add more salt if necessary.
*Note: The amount of salt you need to add to properly season the dish highly depends on the sausage or bacon you use. For reference, we added a small pinch of salt to properly season our kale.
What to Serve with Kale?
This kale and sausage is a great vegetable side dish that pairs well with many main dishes. Here are some tasty ideas for you:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Enjoy your tasty Kale!
Instant Pot Kale
- ~1 pound (400g - 454g) kale , cut into thirds and remove the stems if desired
- ~1 pound (380g) smoked sausage (Kielbasa) or bacon , sliced
- 1 (123g) small onion , sliced
- 6 (16g) garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock (can substitute with vegetable stock)
- Optional: salt
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Prepare Ingredients: Cut kale into thirds, and remove the stems if you like. If you're using bacon, cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Saute Sausages or Bacon: Press "Saute" button to "Sauté More" function to heat up Instant Pot. Wait until it says "HOT" on the screen (roughly 8 minutes). If you're using sausage, add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot's inner pot. Make sure you cover the whole bottom with oil. *Bacon Tip: If you're using bacon, you don't need the olive oil. Add ~1lb sliced sausages in Instant Pot, then saute for 4 minutes.
- Saute Onions & Spices: Add onion slices in Instant Pot, then saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add in minced garlic, then saute for 30 seconds.
- Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour in ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Pressure Cook Kale: Add 1lb kale in Instant Pot. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.Kale with a bit of Chew: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 2 minutes, then immediately Quick ReleaseTender Kale: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes, then immediately Quick ReleaseWhen the Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
- Season and Serve: Press “Cancel” button to turn off the heat. Give everything a quick mix. Taste the kale and add more salt if necessary. *Note: The amount of salt you need to add to properly season the dish depends on your sausage or bacon. For reference, we added a small pinch of salt to properly season our kale. Enjoy~
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!