Make this incredibly Juicy Umami Instant Pot Meatloaf (Pressure Cooker Meatloaf) soaked in flavorful tomato sauce. Easy satisfying meal bursting with smoky cheesy flavors. Thrifty & delicious! 😀
Smoky bacon and
Crunchy onions blended in
Juicy ground beef infused with
Melted cheese soaked in
Rich tomato sauce
The satisfying texture and mouthful of meat bursting with umami flavors are truly irresistible! Plus, the melted cheese in the meatloaf makes it incredibly juicy.
The best part? It’s easy to make, fulfilling, and thrifty.
Don’t miss out on this comforting Umami Instant Pot Meatloaf! 😀
Instant Pot Meatloaf
Make this Juicy Umami Instant Pot Meatloaf (Pressure Cooker) soaked in flavorful homemade tomato sauce. Mouthful of smoky, cheesy meatloaf is satisfying, thrifty & delicious!
- 1 ½ pound (680g) lean ground beef
- 6 (roughly 80g) strips bacon , minced
- 1 medium onion , roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic , roughly minced
- 2 extra large eggs , beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon fennel seed , ground
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 3.2 oz (90g) cheese (we used 2oz (55g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese + 1.2oz (35g) Mozzarella cheese)
- Mix Meatloaf Ingredients: Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients, and mix well with your hands. Do not overmix.
- Test Seasoning: Test the seasoning by cooking a small portion of the meat mixture on a skillet over medium-high heat. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Shape Meatloaf: Gently pack the meat mixture to form a meatloaf. Make sure the meatloaf can fit into your pressure cooker (Reference: Our meatloaf's thickest part was almost 4 inches thick).
- Form Foil Sling: Fold a piece of aluminum foil into a long strip to form a sling. Make sure it is wide enough to hold the whole meatloaf. This will help you transport the meatloaf easily.
- Make Easy Tomato Sauce: Combine all the tomato sauce ingredients together in the pressure cooker. Mix well until the tomato paste dissolves into the tomato sauce mixture.
- Pressure Cook Meatloaf: Place a steamer rack in Instant Pot pressure cooker. Place the aluminum foil sling on the rack and carefully place the meatloaf on top of it. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 16 minutes, then Full Natural Release.
- Preheat Oven: While the meatloaf and tomato sauce are cooking, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Set Aside Meatloaf: Remove the meatloaf by carrying the foil sling. Confirm the meatloaf’s internal temperature is at least 160°F with a food thermometer and set aside.
- Apply Sauce & Finish in Oven: Heat up the pressure cooker over medium-low heat. (Instant Pot: press Sauté, then Adjust button to Saute More Function) Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer and reduce until desired consistency (roughly 5 – 8 minutes). Brush the thickened tomato sauce over the whole meatloaf with a silicone basting brush. Place the meatloaf in the oven on the top rack for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve Instant Pot Meatloaf: Serve the Instant Pot Meatloaf immediately. Enjoy~ 🙂
- Tip for Serving Sauce: If you want to serve your favorite pasta or side dish with the easy tomato sauce, make sure to season the tomato sauce with kosher salt and ground black pepper first.
In Step 1: Make sure the eggs are beaten before adding it to the meatloaf mixture.
How long to cook meatloaf? Pressure cooking time is mostly dependent on the meat’s thickness. So, adjust the cooking time according to your meatloaf's thickness.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Meatloaf
These ingredients are packed with umami flavors that complement well with each other, especially the smoky flavors from the minced bacon and the 2 types of melted cheese.
Tomatoes’ sweet & sour flavors work well with stocks. So, mixing unsalted chicken stock and tomato paste into the tomato sauce will create a rich and savory yummy red sauce! 😀
Tools for Instant Pot Meatloaf
Tips on How to Cook Instant Pot Meatloaf
1. How Long to Cook Meatloaf in Instant Pot?
Pressure cooking time is mostly dependent on the meat’s thickness. The meatloaf we made was almost 4 inches thick (see below photo). So, adjust the cooking time according to your meatloaf’s thickness.
2. Foil Sling Method (see above picture)
We folded a piece of aluminum foil and created a “foil sling”.
We placed it on the steamer rack in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker before placing the meatloaf in.
This makes transporting the meatloaf so much easier! Thanks Great Big Pressure Cooker Book for this great tip.
3. Cooking Tip for Step 1
Make sure the eggs are beaten before adding it to the meatloaf mixture.
4. Mixing in the Tomato Paste
Mixing in 156 ml tomato paste to 898 ml of tomato sauce + chicken stock mixture should not cause scorching. If you are unsure, pour it in without mixing it into the tomato paste.
5. Serving Sauce
If you’re serving pasta or side dish with this easy tomato sauce, make sure to first season it with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Enjoy~ 🙂
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and make some Juicy Umami Instant Pot Meatloaf!
Other Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes
Get Recipe: Instant Pot Chili
Get Recipe: Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce