Learn how to cook this Perfect Instant Pot Rice (Pressure Cooker Rice) with this easy Foolproof method. Fragrant and fluffy white rice ready in just 15 minutes. Set it and forget it, no need to tend the pot. No more uncooked, burnt, or mushy rice!
Rice is such an important food in Asian cultures that it has really become a part of our cultural identity.
My dad often jokes that his life is not complete if he goes a whole day without rice. Ha! That’s why you’ll probably find at least one rice cooker in every Chinese home.
When we first got married, we bought a decent Japanese rice cooker for ~$150. We’re quite satisfied with how consistent it is in making fragrant and great tasting rice.
So, we were quite skeptical if the quality of the Instant Pot Rice (Pressure Cooker Rice) can match those from our rice cooker.
Well, the answer is YES!
The best thing about cooking rice with a pressure cooker is that it’s FAST! The Instant Pot Rice is done in 15 minutes, ~30 minutes faster than our rice cooker.
If you’re going to use an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, you’ll love how you don’t need to wait for the water to boil, tend the pot, or stir the rice like you would cooking it in a regular pot. Just set it and come back to perfect pressure cooked rice.
Rice usually Fails to Cook in a Few Ways:
- Too watery: this means your rice is under-cooked.
- Hard, chewy, or burnt: this means you didn’t add enough water or it’s overcooked.
- Too mushy and sticky: this means you added way too much water.
So, the water-to-rice ratios and the cooking times are the utmost important factors for making perfectly cooked rice. Every grain is different though.
Golden Rules for Cooking Perfect Instant Pot Rice (Jasmine Rice):
- Cooking Time (Instant Pot or other similar Electric Pressure Cookers): High Pressure for 3 minutes and 10 minutes Natural Release.
- Water-to-Rice Ratio: 1 cup (250 ml) of cold water for 1 cup (250 ml) of white rice
- Instant Pot users: take note that the rice measuring cup that comes with the Instant Pot is only 180 ml
These golden rules must be followed strictly for the best results.
Time for cooking rice in Instant Pot!
Perfect Instant Pot Rice
- 1 cup (230g) Jasmine rice
- 1 cup (250ml) cold water
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt optional
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Rinse Rice: Rinse rice under cold water by gently scrubbing the rice with your fingertips in a circling motion. Pour out the milky water, and continue to rinse until water is clear. Be sure to drain really well.
- Pressure Cook Rice: Add 1 cup (230g) rice and 1 cup (250ml) cold water in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Close the lid, turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes. Turn Venting Knob to Venting position to release the remaining pressure. Open the lid quickly.
- Optional Seasoning: Add salt to the rice for seasoning.
- Fluff & Serve: Fluff rice with a fork, then serve warm. Enjoy~
Step-by-Step Guide: Instant Pot Rice
Prepare Ingredients for cooking rice in Instant Pot:
Tools for Instant Pot Rice
First, rinse the rice under cold water by gently scrubbing the rice with your fingertips in a circling motion.
Then, pour out the milky water, and continue to rinse until the water is clear. Ensure to drain really well to ensure the water-to-rice ratio is accurate.
*Pro Tip: Don’t skip this step as it helps get rid of excess starches on the surface and prevents the rice in becoming gluey.
Pressure Cook Rice
Now, add 1 cup (230g) rice and 1 cup (250ml) cold water in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes.
Quickly turn Venting Knob to Venting position to release the remaining pressure. Open the lid quickly.
*Pro Tip: Be sure to cook the rice immediately after you pour the water in the Instant Pot – this prevents throwing off the water:rice ratio.
Fluff & Serve Rice
Finally, fluff perfectly cooked rice with a rice paddle or fork. Then, serve rice warm.
*Pro Tip: If the rice is a bit wet, let it rest a bit for the moisture to escape before serving.
Enjoy a wonderful meal with your perfectly cooked pressure cooker rice! 🙂
Tips for Cooking Rice in Instant Pot
1. Double the Rice Recipe: If you want to cook more rice, double/triple the amount using the 1:1 rice:water ratio with the same cooking time.
2. Rice Storage: store white rice in a sealed container in a dry and dark place.
3. Rinse the Rice: It’s important to rinse the white rice under cold water until the water is clear. This will get rid of excess starches on the surface and prevent the rice in becoming gluey.
4. Cook the Rice Immediately: Cook the rice as soon as you pour the water into the pressure cooker. If you let the rice sit in the water, the rice will continue to absorb the water, which will throw off the ratio.
5. If the rice turns out a bit wet when you open the lid, first fluff the rice with a fork to let the moisture escape through the steam. Then let it rest a bit before serving it.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!