Step-by-Step Guide on how to make Instant Pot Potato Soup. Easy to make silky smooth and creamy potato soup in Instant Pot with few pantry ingredients. Packed with tasty flavors top with crisp bacon bits. A comforting loaded baked potato soup that warms your heart.
Yay for soup season! We’ve been eager to experiment and develop more hearty comfort food recipes for you.
As a potato-holic geek, a tasty yet easy baked potato soup Instant Pot recipe is a must!
Instant Pot Potato Soup
Potato Soup is a classic thick hot soup made of potatoes, onions, cream, and chicken stock. This creamy, rich, and silky smooth soup is comforting, satisfying, and delicious to eat.
We’re amping up the layers of flavors by combining all the deliciousness from a loaded baked potato into this cozy Instant Pot baked potato soup.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup sprinkled with crisp umami bacon bits, refreshing green onions, freshly grated medium cheddar cheese and melted parmesan cheese.
Other Potato Soup Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
If this Instant Pot loaded potato soup is right up your alley, try our Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
Simple Techniques to Take Your Potato Soup to the Next Level
- Sauté the aromatics and veggies to add depths and layers of flavors
- Use 2 types of potatoes to add complexity to the soup’s flavor profile, texture, and aroma
- Use high-quality fish sauce to balance the soup’s flavor profile & add a dimension of flavors
Here are the ingredients for making Potato Soup in Instant Pot.
What Potatoes are Best for Potato Soup?
We crafted this potato soup Instant Pot recipe with red potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes. This combination adds more complexity to the soup’s flavor profile, texture, and aroma.
If you only have one type of potato, it’ll still work with this Instant Pot baked potato soup recipe.
Keep in mind different types of potatoes have different starch and moisture content. So if you’re substituting with other types of potatoes, the thickness and textures of the soup will vary, be sure to adjust accordingly.
Fish Sauce: Fish sauce is not a traditional ingredient in loaded baked potato soup. So we’re keeping it optional for this recipe. But it’ll add a kick of tasty umami to this soup.
Don’t worry! A high-quality fish sauce won’t make your soup tastes fishy! This Red Boat 40N Fish Sauce is still our favorite. Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce is another solid choice.
Unsalted Chicken Stock: We develop recipes with unsalted ingredients because we can better control the flavors of the dish. If you’re substituting with salted chicken stock, keep in mind that the sodium level can vary a lot between different brands. Always taste and adjust accordingly.
Heavy Cream: It enriches the potato soup’s flavor and adds a silky mouthfeel to the soup. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can substitute it with half and half or whole milk.
Tools for Potato Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (6qt)
- Bamboo Wooden Spoon
- Immersion Hand Blender – very handy tool to help you blend the potato soup into a smooth consistency.
First, we’re going to crisp 6 slices of bacon or chopped bacon in Instant Pot.
Add the bacon, then heat up your Instant Pot by using the Sauté More function.
Stir occasionally and allow the bacon to crisp.
When the bacon is crisped, remove them from Instant Pot, and place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess fat.
- To cook the meat and fat evenly, crispy and not burnt, place the bacon in the cold pot before turning on the heat. Then, let the heat slowly render out the pork fat.
- It’s also important to absorb the bacon’s excess fat with a paper towel after sauteing. This helps crisp up the umami bacon bits!
Saute Onions and Garlic
Add the diced onion to the bacon fat in Instant Pot, then saute until soften (roughly 2 minutes).
Add minced garlic and 2 bay leaves in Instant Pot, then saute for another minute.
Deglaze Instant Pot
Pour ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Pressure Cook Potato Soup
Add potato chunks, 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce (optional), and 3½ cups (875ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Give it a quick mix.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes, then Natural Release for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes of Natural Release, carefully turn Venting Knob to the Venting position to release the remaining pressure.
Once the floating valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
Blend & Season Potato Soup in Instant Pot
If your blender is not powerful enough, find and discard the bay leaves.
With an Immersion Hand Blender, blend the potato soup in Instant Pot to your desired consistency.
Add 1 cup (250ml) of heavy cream, then stir to combine it with the potato soup in Instant Pot.
Taste the creamy potato soup, then season it with more salt. For reference, we added 3 large pinches of kosher salt.
How to Thicken Potato Soup?
If you substituted with other types of potatoes, the potato soup’s thickness may vary. You can thicken the potato soup further by using Instant Pot’s Saute function or add your preferred thickener to the soup.
Garnish & Serve Instant Pot Potato Soup
Garnish your baked potato soup with crisp bacon bits, freshly grated medium cheddar cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese, and green onions.
You can also season the pressure cooker potato soup with some black pepper.
Serve Instant Pot baked potato soup immediately.
What to Serve with Potato Soup
You can serve this creamy potato soup with many delicious side dishes. This soup goes well with lighter main dishes or side dishes, bread to soak up the rich flavors, or refreshing salads and veggies.
Bread, Sandwiches, Crackers: Serve this loaded baked potato soup with bread like Artisan No Knead Bread, French baguettes, sourdough, toasted garlic bread, dinner rolls, biscuits, simple sandwiches like Grilled Cheese Sandwich, or saltine crackers.
- Instant Pot Roast Beef
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Instant Pot French Dip
- Instant Pot Pork Loin
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
Enjoy your Creamy Instant Pot Potato Soup!~
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 1 ½ pound (680g) Yukon gold potatoes , chunked
- ½ pound (226g) small red potatoes , chunked
- 6 slices (215g) bacon , chopped
- 1 (232g) medium onion , diced
- 6 cloves (30g) garlic , minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups (1L) unsalted chicken stock
- Optional: 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- 2 stalks green onions , chopped
- Optional: freshly grated parmesan cheese/medium cheddar cheese
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Crisp Bacon: Add 6 slices of bacon or chopped bacon in Instant Pot, then heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More function. Stir occasionally and allow the bacon to crisp. Remove bacon from Instant Pot, then place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess fat.Amy + Jacky's Tips! We're using Instant Pot’s preheating heat to render and crisp the bacon. No need to add oil because bacon has a lot of fat.
- Saute Onions and Garlic: Add diced onion in the bacon fat, then saute until soften (~2 mins). Add in minced garlic and 2 bay leaves, then saute for another minute.
- Deglaze: Pour ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Pressure Cook Potato Soup: Add in potato chunks, 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce, and 3½ cups (875ml) unsalted chicken stock. Give it a quick mix. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes, then Natural Release for 15 minutes. Carefully open the lid.
- Blend & Season: Find and discard the bay leaves. Chunky Potato Soup Tips: If you want a chunky potato soup, remove and set aside some potato chunks from Instant Pot before blending the soup. Then, add the potato chunks back into the soup after blending.Blend potato soup into desired consistency with an immersion hand blender. Add 1 cup (250ml) of heavy cream, then stir to combine it with potato soup. Taste the soup and season with more salt. For reference, we added 3 large pinches of kosher salt.
- Garnish & Serve Potato Soup: Garnish soup with crisp bacon bits, freshly grated medium cheddar cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese, and green onions. You can season soup with some black pepper. Enjoy~
- In order to cook the meat and fat evenly, crispy and not burnt, place them in the cold pot before turning on the heat. Then, let the heat slowly render out the pork fat.
- It’s important to absorb the bacon’s excess fat with paper towel after sauteing. This helps crisp up the umami bacon bits!
Other Tasty Instant Pot Soup Recipes
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!