Step-by-Step Guide on how to cook Instant Pot Brown Basmati Rice! We did experiments to find the best rice water ratio and cook time to make brown basmati rice in Instant Pot. Fragrant, nutty, and fluffy basmati brown rice with a satisfying chew. Easy, tasty, and healthy side dish that goes well with many flavorful dishes.
You might have tried brown rice or basmati rice before. But what’s brown basmati rice?
Brown Basmati Rice
Brown Basmati Rice is whole grain basmati rice. It’s a type of long and thin grain of rice that has a unique lovely aroma, nutty taste, and fluffy texture. It’s tasty and nutritious to eat.
Brown basmati rice is most commonly found in Indian and Pakistan cuisines.
Taste & Aroma: nutty, fragrant – it has a distinct pleasant smell that’s similar to white basmati rice – it smells so good~
Texture: light, fluffy, wholesome, distinct kernels – not sticky, mushy, and won’t clump together; can be soft or with a satisfying chew (not hard & chewy); moist but has a drier texture
Popular Brown Basmati Rice Brands
Brown Basmati Rice vs. White Basmati Rice
Brown basmati rice is less processed than white basmati rice since they only remove the hull from the grain.
They’re both tasty and provide many health benefits. While brown basmati rice provides more fiber and nutrients, white basmati rice is easier to digest.
How to Cook Instant Pot Brown Basmati Rice
We experimented with 2 different brands of brown basmati rice to find the best Rice Water Ratio and Cook Time.
Here are the ingredients for cooking brown basmati rice in Instant Pot:
Soak or No Soak Rice: It’s awesome that you don’t need to soak the rice before cooking brown basmati rice in Instant Pot! With the right rice to water ratio and cook time, it’s quick and easy to cook perfect Instant Pot brown basmati rice.
Rinse Brown Basmati Rice: After rinsing the rice, make sure you drain it really well to avoid throwing off the Rice Water ratio.
Water vs. Chicken Stock: If you like to add more flavor to your brown basmati rice, you can substitute the water with unsalted chicken stock.
Tools for Brown Basmati Rice
Add Brown Basmati Rice in Instant Pot
First, add 1 cup (200g) brown basmati rice in Instant Pot.
Pour 1 cup (250ml) of cold water or unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot.
Give it a few swirls and make sure all the brown basmati rice is fully submerged in the cooking liquid.
Pressure Cook Brown Basmati Rice
With Venting Knob in Venting Position. Close the lid. Then, turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 18 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position.
When the Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
Fluff and Serve Rice
Fluff the brown basmati rice in Instant Pot with a fork or spoon.
Then, taste and season with salt if you like.
So, if your rice comes out too chewy for your liking, add another ¼ cup (63ml) liquid next time.
With the same Rice Water Ratio and cook time, Brand #2 we tested comes out chewier compared to Brand #1. So make sure you adjust the rice water ratio according to your brand and texture preferences!
Finally, serve and enjoy the brown basmati rice with your favorite main dish and side dishes.
What to Serve with Brown Basmati Rice
This aromatic and tasty brown basmati rice is a very versatile side dish. You can serve it with a variety of main dishes and vegetables.
It goes well with saucy, flavorful dishes like curries, stir-fries, and soups. Here are some tasty ideas for you:
- Chicken: Instant Pot Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Curry, Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs, Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Salsa Chicken, Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Pork: Instant Pot Pork Chops, Instant Pot Pork Shoulder, Instant Pot Pork Roast
- Beef: Instant Pot Pot Roast, Instant Pot Beef Rendang, Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli, Instant Pot HK Beef Curry
You can also add these fluffy and fragrant rice to your salads, soups, and other dishes.
Enjoy your Tasty Instant Pot Brown Basmati Rice~
Instant Pot Brown Basmati Rice
- 1 cup (200g) brown basmati rice , rinsed & well-drained
- 1 cup (250ml) cold water or unsalted chicken stock
- Salt , if preferred
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Add Brown Basmati Rice in Instant Pot: Add 1 cup (200g) brown basmati rice in Instant Pot. Pour in 1 cup (250ml) cold water. Give it a few swirls and make sure all the rice is fully submerged in the cooking liquid.
- Pressure Cook Brown Basmati Rice: Close the lid. Then, turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 18 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position. Open the lid carefully.
- Fluff and Serve: Fluff brown basmati rice with a fork or spoon. Then, taste and season with salt if you like. Serve and enjoy the rice with your delicious main and side dishes.Amy + Jacky's Tips! Keep in mind not to over-season your brown basmati rice because you'll be serving it with flavorful main dishes.
- If your rice comes out too chewy for your liking, add another ¼ cup (63ml) of cold water or unsalted chicken stock next time.
- If you prefer softer fluffier rice, add an extra ¼ cup (63ml) to ½ cup (125ml) of cold water or unsalted chicken stock.
Other Amy + Jacky’s Tested Rice Recipes
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!