No need to soak to make perfectly cooked Star Superfood Instant Pot Black Rice (Forbidden Rice) in Pressure Cooker! This high-antioxidants, nutrient-packed ancient Chinese whole grain rice has more impressive health benefits than other rice varieties. Gotta love the nutty aromatic delicious chew.
Remember to have mouthwash ready if you’re going for an interview or first date after eating some delicious Black Forbidden Rice.
No, not because it’s forbidden.
But the dark purple color it sheds makes you look like a kid who just finished a brain-freezing Slurpee! 😛 hehe~
Don’t let this stop you from eating like an Emperor and taste this delicious forbidden rice though! 🙂
After experimenting batches and batches of different varieties of White Rice, Brown Rice, Sticky Rice, Wild Rice in Instant Pot, it’s time for some ancient Black Forbidden Rice!
What is Forbidden Black Rice?
It’s believed that Black Rice was first discovered over 2 thousand years ago in China.
Rumors have it that this precious “black pearl” later became reserved only for the royalty due to the delicious taste and impressive health-boosting nutrients.
In Chinese culture, Black Rice is also known as the following:
- Medicinal Rice (Chinese: 藥米): it was proven to contain healing nutrients in Traditional Chinese Medicine practices.
- Offering Rice (Chinese: 貢米): it was so precious, delicious, and nutritious, that it was regularly gifted to the Emperor and Royalty.
- Longevity Rice (Chinese: 壽米): due to the multiple healing effects & health benefits, it’s believed that consuming Black Rice prolongs one’s life.
What Does it Look Like?
Black Rice is deep black in color and usually turns deep purple when cooked, primarily due to its valuable anthocyanin content.
Good Quality Black Rice:
- Slightly glossy and smooth (not cracked)
- Relatively uniform size (not broken) & plump
- Tastes slightly sweet (shouldn’t tastes sour, bitter, or any other weird tastes)
- If you scrape off the bran hull (outermost layer), the inner grain should be white.
Taste & Texture
Black Rice tastes super nutty. The uniquely delicious aroma just spreads in your mouth! Though the flavor is very similar to Wild Rice, the texture is totally different (softer & less chewy).
What is Black Rice Good for?
Black Rice is a healthy substitute for Noodles & White Rice. It’s also great for making:
- Congee (porridge)
- Desserts (rice pudding, Chinese black rice cake, sweet soup, cake)
- Black rice wine
Black Rice Benefits
Black Rice, like Brown Rice, retains the outer bran hull layer that has been removed from White Rice. The bran is what makes it so precious!
In fact, Black Rice contains the highest amount of antioxidants, protein, and dietary fiber of all the rice varieties.
- Rich in Antioxidants – contains the highest level of powerful disease-fighting anthocyanin antioxidants
- Very High Amount of Dietary Fiber – improves digestive health
- Substantial Mineral Content – good source of iron
- Contains more Plant-Based Protein than other common varieties of rice
- Detoxification – one of the healing foods that help cleanse the body of harmful substances
- Naturally Gluten-Free Grain
Where Can I Buy Black Rice?
Currently, Black Rice may not be as common as White Rice, Brown Rice, or even Wild Rice. But you should be able to find them in Asian Supermarkets, Specialty/Gourmet Food Markets, or Health Food Stores.
*Buying Tip: Be sure to buy 100% whole grain black rice to ensure you can benefit from the nutrients listed above.
How to Store Black Rice?
Store Black Rice in a dry, cool, shaded area. It’s best to store them in a sealed environment (i.e. ziploc bag, covered stainless steel containers).
Let’s find out how to cook black rice in Instant Pot! 🙂
Instant Pot Black Rice (Forbidden Rice)
- 1 cup (215g) black rice
- 1 cup (250ml) cold water
- Wash & Rinse Black Rice: Add 1 cup (215g) black rice to the inner pot. Rinse the rice a few times over cold water, and rub the rice with your hands. Drain really really well. Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water in the inner pot, then remove 2 - 3 tbsp water.
- Pressure Cook Black Rice: Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 18 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release remaining pressure. Open the lid carefully.
- Serve Instant Pot Black Rice: Fluff and serve black rice with your favorite main dish or add it to your salad. Enjoy~
♥ Spread the Love by sharing this recipe, so others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂
Step-by-Step Instant Pot Black Rice Cooking Guide
Only two simple ingredients here. Black Rice + water 🙂
You can also add a pinch of salt for seasoning if you like.
Wash & Rinse Black Rice
*Pro Tip: The Rice to Water Ratio is critical in cooking perfect rice, so be mindful in measuring the exact amount you use! 🙂
Method #1 – Easy Method:
Add 1 cup (215g) Black Rice to the inner pot. Rinse the rice a few times over cold water, and rub the rice with your hands. Drain really well.
Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water in the inner pot, then remove 2 – 3 tablespoons of water.
Method #2 – The Most Precise Method:
Place the inner pot on a kitchen scale. Add 1 cup (215g) Black Rice in the inner pot. Click on the “tare” button and rinse the rice a few times over cold water. Drain well.
Place the inner pot back on the kitchen scale and pour in cold water until it indicates 250g or 250ml (1 cup) on the kitchen scale.
*Pro Tip: Don’t panic when you see the water turns deep purple/reddish black color. It’s the powerful disease-fighting anthocyanin antioxidants!
Pressure Cook Black Rice
Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 18 minutes, then Natural Release for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, release remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position. Open the lid carefully.
Serve Instant Pot Black Rice
Fluff and serve Black Rice with your favorite main dish or add it to your salad.
*Pro Tip: Be careful what containers you use to serve the Black Rice because it may stain your ceramic or enamel cookware.
Enjoy your Superfood Instant Pot Black Rice!~ 🙂