Learn how to make Tasty Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers (Pressure Cooker Stuffed Peppers). Cheesy smoky tomato beef rice top with melted cheese stuffed in sweet juicy roasted bell peppers. Flavorful & colorful comfort food that’s great for easy dinners, parties, and entertaining guests.
Many readers have been pleading for Instant Pot Duo Crisp Recipes and Ninja Foodi Recipes – so yes! We heard you!!
This deliciously gorgeous Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe showcases the beauty of Instant Pot Duo Crisp and Ninja Foodi by utilizing the Saute, Pressure Cooking, and Air Frying functions!
But, you can also make this stuffed pepper recipe with any Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, with the option of melting the cheese on top with the oven or broiler.
What are Stuffed Peppers?
Stuffed Peppers are found in many cultures and cuisines from around the world – each with their own yummy twists & stuffings of local ingredients.
Even a small fishing village (back in the days) like Hong Kong created its own version where we pan fry the green bell peppers stuff with minced dace fish meat. A part of the classic street food called “Pan Fried Stuffed Three Treasures” (Chinese: 煎釀三寶).
While, North American Stuffed Peppers are most commonly made with bell peppers of any color stuffed with ground beef, cooked rice, cheese, sauce, herbs, spices…
This makes it cheesy, savory, umami, tangy, sweet with satisfying crunch & chew mouthfeel – so comforting to eat! 🙂
Ingredients for Cooking Stuffed Peppers in Instant Pot
Leftover Rice: The reason why Stuffed Peppers and Fried Rice were born. I am kidding, but if you have leftover rice at home, stuffed pepper is a great recipe to add to your arsenal.
Diced Tomatoes: Normal diced tomatoes will work fine, but we are turning this up to 11 with some yummy diced heirloom tomatoes.
Tomato Paste: We love using tomato paste in a tube because nothing will go to waste! #NotSponsored
Cheddar Cheese: We used smoked cheddar cheese as it gives the pepper stuffings such a nice smoky flavor. You can simply use normal cheddar cheese if you like.
Bell Peppers: Different color bell peppers have a different flavor profile (different levels of sweetness). You can use any color bell peppers for this Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe.
Time to make Cheesy Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers!
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
- ½ - 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 pound (454g) ground beef
- 4 (166g) large cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 1 can (430g or 14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tomato paste
- 6 cloves (23g) garlic , minced
- 1 (235g) medium onion , minced
- 1 teaspoon (1.2g) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) regular soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 - 8 bell peppers , tops + cores removed; dice the tops (see photos)
- Finely chopped parsley , for garnish
- ¼ cup (48g) smoked cheddar cheese , freshly shredded
- ¼ cup (48g) mozzarella cheese , freshly shredded
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Brown Ground Beef & Mushrooms: Press "Saute" button to "Sauté More" to heat up Instant Pot. Wait until it says "HOT" (~8mins) to ensure the pot is as hot as it can be. Add 1 tbsp olive oil (15ml) in Instant Pot, and ensure the whole bottom is coated. Season one side of ground beef with salt and black pepper. Place the whole chunk of ground beef in Instant Pot (seasoned side face down), then add sliced mushrooms to the side. Let the whole chunk of ground beef brown (don't touch it for 5 minutes). Generously season the other side with salt and black pepper. After 5 minutes, chop the ground beef into 6 chunks, then flip to the other side. *Pro Tip: There will be a lot of juice coming out of the beef and mushrooms, let the juices reduce until no juice left (~10 mins). Break the ground beef into small chunks, mix them with the mushrooms, then saute for another 3 minutes.
- Saute Onion & Pepper: Add minced onions and 1 tbsp (15ml) regular soy sauce in Instant Pot, then saute for 2 minutes. Add in diced bell pepper (from pepper tops) and 1 tsp (1.2g) dried Italian seasoning, then saute for 2 minutes.
- Saute Garlic & Rice: Add in ½ cup - 1 cup cooked white rice, 1 tbsp (15ml) tomato paste, and minced garlic, then saute for 30 seconds. Break up rice clumps and ensure the rice is not sticking together. Remove the inner pot from heat.
- Stuff Bell Peppers: While the ingredients are hot, mix in shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Mix 1 can (430g) diced tomatoes into the stuffings. Give it a taste and season if necessary (for reference, we added ¼ tsp fine salt). Fill bell peppers with stuffings.
- Pressure Cook Stuffed Peppers: Clean and dry the inner pot. Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water and trivet in Instant Pot. Place the stuffed peppers on the trivet. Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes + Quick Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Optional - Melt Cheese on Stuffed Peppers: Sprinkle cheese on top of the bell peppers. *Air Fryer Method: Place the Air Fryer Lid on Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Press "Air Fry" button, set the temperature to 400°F and cooking time to 8 minutes.*Oven Method: Layer the stuffed bell peppers on a baking sheet, then put them under the broil function for a few minutes.
- Serve Stuffed Peppers: Garnish stuffed peppers with finely chopped parsley, then serve immediately. Enjoy 🙂
Step-by-Step Guide: Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
Prepare ingredients for cooking Stuffed Peppers in Instant Pot.
*Pro Tip: First slice up the mushrooms, then proceed to Step 1 while preparing the rest of the ingredients. This will help save you some time. 🙂
Tools for Cooking Stuffed Peppers in Instant Pot
Begin with slicing the mushrooms, then prepare the remaining ingredients as you brown the ground beef & mushrooms.
Prepare Bell Peppers: Slice across the top (stem end) and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds + transparent white membranes. Then, cut the bell pepper tops into small cubes.
*Pro Tip: Make sure the bell peppers can stand up on it’s own. If not, stabilize the peppers by slicing off the uneven parts of the bell peppers off the bottom. Be careful not to make a massive hole at the bottom or the stuffings will leak out.
Brown Ground Beef & Mushrooms in Instant Pot
Press “Saute” button to “Sauté More” function to heat up Instant Pot. It will switch to “ON” on the screen.
If you’re using Instant Pot Duo Crisp – press “Saute” button to “Saute Hi” and press “Start”.
Wait until it says “HOT” on the screen (takes roughly 8 minutes).
*Pro Tip: Make sure Instant Pot is as hot as it can be in order to induce a Maillard reaction.
Add 1 tbsp olive oil (15ml) in the Instant Pot’s inner pot, then ensure the whole bottom is coated with olive oil.
First, season one side of the ground beef with kosher salt and black pepper.
Place the whole chunk of ground beef in Instant Pot (with the seasoned side facing down), then add the sliced mushrooms to the side.
Let the whole chunk of ground beef brown (don’t touch it for 5 minutes).
Generously season the other side with salt and black pepper.
*Pro Tip: You can continue the prep while the meat and mushrooms are browning.
After 5 minutes, chop the ground beef into 6 chunks, then flip the ground beef to the other side.
*Pro Tip: You will notice there will be a lot of juice coming out of the ground beef and mushrooms at this point. Just let the juice reduces and evaporates while you are chopping the rest of the ingredients.
After 9 – 10 minutes, it should look like the photo below with no juice in the pot.
Break the ground beef into small chunks, mix them with the mushrooms, then saute for another 3 minutes.
Saute Onion & Pepper
At this point, add minced onions and 1 tbsp (15ml) regular soy sauce in Instant Pot, then saute for 2 minutes.
Add diced bell peppers and 1 tsp (1.2g) dried Italian seasoning in Instant Pot, then saute for another 2 minutes.
Saute Garlic & Rice
Add ½ cup – 1 cup cooked white rice, 1 tbsp (15ml) tomato paste, and minced garlic in Instant Pot, then saute for 30 seconds.
Break up rice clumps and make sure the rice are not sticking together.
Then, remove the inner pot from Instant Pot.
Stuff Bell Peppers
While the ingredients are piping hot, mix in freshly smoked shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
*Pro Tip: If you want to melt some cheese on top when serving, reserve roughly ¼ portion of the cheese for later.
Mix 1 can (430g) diced tomatoes into the cheesy stuffing mixture. Give it a taste and season if necessary.
*Pro Tip: For reference, we added ¼ tsp fine salt. This should taste quite yummy.
Fill the peppers with the yummy cheesy stuffings.
*Note: Depending on the size of your bell peppers, you should be able to fill 6 – 8 large bell peppers.
Pressure Cook Stuffed Peppers
Clean and dry the inner pot.
Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water, then place a trivet in Instant Pot.
*Note: We used the airfryer basket that came with the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, but any trivet will work fine.
Place the stuffed peppers in Instant Pot basket. You should be able to cook 4 stuffed peppers at once.
*Crispy Option for Duo Crisp: Pressure Cook + Airfry/Oven method yields a softer bell pepper texture. If you enjoy a crispier bell pepper, you can skip the pressure cooking step and proceed with air frying. Make sure to change the Air Fry Cooking Time to 10 – 11 minutes.
Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes + Quick Release
After pressure cooking for 5 minutes, carefully turn the Venting Knob to Venting Position to release the pressure.
Once the Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
The Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers are done!
Optional – Melt Cheese on Stuffed Peppers
Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top of the bell peppers.
Place the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot DUO Crisp.
- Air Frying Method: Press “Air Fry” button, set the temperature to 400°F and cooking time to 8 minutes.
*Pro Tip: It will take roughly 6 – 8 minutes + the preheat time to melt and brown the cheese on top. You can open the lid to check the progress.
*For Oven: Layer the Instant Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers on a baking sheet, then put them under the broil function for a few minutes.
Serve Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
Garnish pressure cooker stuffed peppers with finely chopped parsley, then serve immediately.
Enjoy your Smoky Cheesy Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers :)
More Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes For You
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!