Learn how to cook Creamy Rich Instant Pot Butternut Squash (Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash) in 20 mins! Super easy way to cooking whole butternut squash in Instant Pot. Sweet-savory satisfying taste of autumn. Makes a deliciously simple & healthy appetizer or side dish.
What is Butternut Squash?
Butternut Squash (aka Butternut Pumpkin), is a type of nutritious winter squash that’s often roasted, sautéed, grilled, toasted, puréed, mashed…
Butternut Squash tastes sweet, juicy, nutty, rich & dense, somewhat like a pumpkin and sweet potato. It’s great for making soups, pasta, raviolis, puree, casseroles, risotto, pies, hummus, salads…
It’s a good source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, yet low in calories, and has lower carbs than sweet potatoes.
What Makes a Yummy Butternut Squash?
- Texture: fully tender & creamy (not overcooked & soggy mushy mess; not undercooked, hard & crunchy)
- Flavor: sweet, nutty, rich, aromatic (not old, flat-tasting or bland due to losing its’ natural flavors)
- Mouthfeel: juicy moist, satisfyingly dense, thick & smooth (not dried out, tough, stringy, or grainy – imagine squash jerky…nooo!!)
We love cooking butternut squash in the Instant Pot because it’s a big timesaver, yet foolproof – so easy to achieve the above delicious results! 😀
Time to cook some creamy delicious butternut squash!
How to Cook Instant Pot Butternut Squash Step-by-Step Guide
Prepare Ingredients for cooking Butternut Squash in Pressure Cooker:
Wash the butternut squash under cold tap water.
We tested cooking butternut squash in Instant Pot using few different methods and cooking times. We tried cooking whole butternut squash, halved butternut squash, quartered butternut squash…etc.
Tools for Instant Pot Butternut Squash Recipe
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Trivet or Stainless Steel Steamer Rack Trivet
- Pyrex Measuring Cup
Cut Butternut Squash
Since whole butternut squash is not uniform in size or shape, we found the butternut squash cooks most evenly in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker when cut this way (as shown in below photo).
Pressure Cook Butternut Squash
Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water, then place steamer rack in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Layer the cut butternut squash on top of the Instant Pot Trivet (as shown in photo below).
Lock the lid, then turn Venting Knob to the Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 8 – 11 minutes, then Quick Release.
*Pro Tip: The best butternut squash cooking time depends on the size of your butternut squash and how tender you like your butternut squash (firm vs. very soft). For reference, a 4lb (1916g) butternut squash with a circumference of 19″ will take 9 – 10 minutes (under pressure time) to fully cook in the Instant Pot. So, adjust your pressure cooking time accordingly! 🙂
Turn off the heat. Release all the pressure by turning the Venting Knob to Venting Position.
Open the lid carefully.
Garnish and Serve Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash
Your pressure cooker butternut squash is ready to be served!
For a very easy side dish, sprinkle brown sugar and kosher salt over your butternut squash.
Drizzle the creamy rich butternut squash with olive oil or melted butter, then serve immediately.
*Pro Tip: If you want to garnish with some fresh herbs, butternut squash pairs well with rosemary, thyme, or sage.
Enjoy your deliciously sweet-savory-aromatic Butternut Squash!~
Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- 1 (1916g or ~4lbs) butternut squash , rinsed
- 1 cup (250ml) cold water
Optional Toppings & Garnishes
- Brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or sage)
- Olive oil or melted butter
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Cut Butternut Squash: Based on our experiments, whole butternut squash cooks most evenly in Instant Pot when cut this way (as shown in photo).
- Pressure Cook Butternut Squash: Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water, then place trivet in Instant Pot. Layer the cut butternut squash on top of trivet (as shown in photos). Lock the lid, then turn Venting Knob to the Sealing Position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 8 - 11 minutes, then Quick Release. Open the lid carefully.*Pro Tip: The best cooking time depends on the size of your butternut squash and how tender you like your butternut squash (firm vs. very soft). For reference, a 4lb (1916g) butternut squash with a circumference of 19" will take 9 - 10 minutes (under pressure time) to fully cook in the Instant Pot.
- Garnish and Serve Butternut Squash: For an easy side dish, sprinkle brown sugar and kosher salt over your creamy rich butternut squash. Drizzle with olive oil or melted butter, then serve immediately. Enjoy~*Pro Tip: If you want to garnish with some fresh herbs, butternut squash pairs well with rosemary, thyme, or sage.
More Instant Pot Squash Recipes You’ll Love
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!