Step-by-Step Guide on How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs with Homemade Mushroom Gravy Recipe. Juicy homemade turkey meatballs drizzle with fragrant umami mushroom gravy. Perfect for Thanksgiving holidays!
Thanksgiving has a special place in my heart.
The loud & joyous gatherings with family and friends who tries to talk over each other as they excitedly share their funny stories.
The beautiful feast for the eyes and tummies spread across the dining table speaks of love.
The room is filled with warmth, laughter, and irresistible aroma.
Best of all:
Thanksgiving is a time for us to gather around the table, reflect and count our blessings.
What Are You Thankful For This Year?
“Be thankful for the best things in life:
the people you love,
the places you’ve been,
and the memories you’ve made along the way.”
Time to make these delicious homemade turkey meatballs and celebrate with your loved ones~ 😀
You’ll Love These Turkey Meatballs Because:
- Super moist & juicy
- Flavorful – packed with fragrant spices, crunchy onions, and melted creamy cheese
- Freezer-friendly – you can make ahead for parties
These Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs are Great for:
- Thanksgiving! – But not just limited for the holidays. They are also a healthier alternative to traditional meatballs.
- Appetizers/Snacks – party-perfect finger food whether it’s for football party or Christmas party.
- Main dish – makes a delicious entree served with mashed potatoes, spaghetti, or rice, drizzled with umami mushroom gravy.
But wait, there’s more:
You can use this to make turkey patties for burgers too! 😀
Tools for Turkey Meatballs Instant Pot Recipe
Tips for Turkey Meatballs
1. Browning the Meatballs: Since the turkey meatballs are very delicate, it’s harder to brown them nicely in the Instant Pot due to the depth of the pot. Browning them in a skillet will make the job much easier.
2. Pressure Cooker Meatballs vs Skillet Meatballs:
We tested the difference between cooking meatballs on a skillet and in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure Cooker Meatballs: more moist & juicy
- Skillet Meatballs: have a slight crisp crust on the outside with rich flavor from the maillard reaction (more suitable cooking method if they were made into patties)
Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup (20g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion , minced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg , beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon regular soy sauce
- 12 white or cremini mushrooms , roughly chopped
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms ~ 14g, rehydrated, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon regular soy sauce
- A dash sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold running water
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Make Turkey Meatballs: In a large mixing bowl, place all the dry ingredients and mix in the wet ingredients. Use your hands to thoroughly mix the ground turkey mixture. Roll and form the meatballs. It yields 14 – 16 meatballs depending on the meatballs’ size.
- Test Seasoning: Cook a small piece of turkey meatball mixture in a medium-high heat skillet and taste-test the seasoning. Add more kosher salt to the meatball mixture if it’s under-seasoned.
- Brown Turkey Meatballs: Brown meatballs over medium-high heat in a skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil. About 45 seconds - 1 minute per side until brown (See Notes).
- Deglaze Skillet: Set aside the meatballs. Pour 100ml unsalted chicken stock. Scrub all the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Set aside and keep the brown bits (they are very flavorful).
- Prepare Instant Pot: While you are browning the meatballs on the stovetop. Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Sauté Mushrooms: Pour 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp unsalted butter into your pressure cooker. Add in the chopped white or cremini mushrooms, a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper. Stir to evenly coat the mushrooms with butter. Mushrooms will start releasing their moisture. Let the moisture evaporate and stir occasionally until mushrooms are slightly crisp and browned. This step will take roughly 7 – 12 mins, but it will greatly enhance the flavor of the gravy.
- Deglaze Pot: Add in the chopped shiitake mushrooms and give it a quick stir. Pour a dash of sherry wine and fully deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon. Now is a good time to add in the brown bits chicken stock liquid from the skillet. Pour in the remaining unsalted chicken stock and add 1 tsp of regular soy sauce.
- Pressure Cook Turkey Meatballs: Add the turkey meatballs into the pressure cooker. Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 5 - 6 minutes (depending on the size of the meatballs). Turn off the heat and do a Quick Release. Open the lid carefully. Make sure the turkey meatballs have reached 74°C (165°F) with a meat thermometer.
- Make Mushroom Gravy: Taste the sauce and add salt if necessary. Mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and stir the mixture into the mushroom gravy one third at a time until desired thickness.
- Serve: Drizzle the mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. and serve the turkey meatballs on top 🙂
Other Instant Pot Turkey Recipes
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!