Make Delicious Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken with Pot in Pot Rice! Your family will enjoy this Easy Japanese Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl! Love the caramelized homemade teriyaki sauce soaked by the juicy, tender chicken over perfectly cooked Japanese rice.
Japanese food has a very special place in our hearts. And we’ve been eager to develop more Japanese comfort food with our Instant Pot Pressure Cookers.
Stay tuned! Because this Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl is just one of many more recipes we’re excited to share with you!! 😀
We tested this Teriyaki Chicken in Instant Pot using 3 different soy sauces (Kikkoman Tamari soy sauce, Lee Kim Kee Chinese light soy sauce, regular Kikkoman soy sauce).
As well as testing the best cooking time to make the most tender & juicy bone-in chicken thighs with skin.
And we finally found success in making delicious Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken on our 5th try! 😀
We’re in love with using the Pot-in-Pot (PIP) method in our Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
This convenient trick we’ve learned from our grandparents is perfect for cooking rice and the main dish separately at the same time in the same pot!
Yes to less dishes to wash! 😛
What is Pot-in-Pot Method?
The Pot-in-Pot method is where instead of cooking all the ingredients directly in the pot, you can cook 2 or more food items/dishes separately in the same pot at the same time!
How to use Pot in Pot?
- Place your Recipe #1’s ingredients in Instant Pot’s inner pot
- Add Steamer Rack/Trivet in Instant Pot
- Place your Recipe #2’s ingredients in an oven-safe container on the rack in Instant Pot
- Close lid and pressure cook!
This will separate Recipe #2 from Recipe #1’s liquid and/or ingredients that are directly in the inner pot.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Japanese Teriyaki Sauce is a thickened sweet soy glaze called Tare Sauce (often used in grilling).
It’s actually very easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients.
Generally, a basic teriyaki sauce is made of Japanese Soy Sauce, Sugar, Mirin (Japanese Sweet Cooking Rice Wine), and Japanese Cooking Sake.
*Pro Tip: Ginger + Garlic add aromatic flavors to the Teriyaki Sauce.
Tools for Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- Steamer Rack Stand
Tips for Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
1. Japanese Rice
Medium-grain Calrose rice is adequate for this Japanese chicken teriyaki rice bowl. Save the premium grade short grain Japanese rice for nigiri sushi (unless that’s your favorite go-to rice)! 🙂
2. Rinsing Rice
For optimal results, ensure you use a scale to make sure the Rice-to-Water Ratio is accurate after you rinse the rice.
3. Placing Chicken Thighs
- Skin Side Up: Ensure to place the chicken thighs in Instant Pot with the skin side up.
- Do Not Stack or Pile in Layers: Ensure to place the chicken thighs in one layer (as shown in below photo), or the chicken may come out undercooked.
4. Finish in Oven
We compared the differences between teriyaki chicken thighs with browning vs. no-browning.
We personally enjoy the chicken with browning more because it makes a big difference in flavors! The extra cooking step was definitely worth it.
- Teriyaki Chicken Thighs without Browning:
- Texture: super moist, tender, & juicy
- Flavors: flavorful
- Teriyaki Chicken Thighs with Browning:
- Texture: moist, tender, & juicy (skin is a bit more dried up compare to the ones without browning)
- Flavors: brings out so much more flavors and fragrance
5. Containers for Pot in Pot Rice
Any food grade (304 or 316 or 18/8 18/10) stainless steel bowl that fits into the Instant Pot (less than 7.5” in diameter for 6 quart Instant Pot) will work. We used a Corelle bowl in this video.
These stainless steel stackable steamer pans are popular among Instant Pot users for the Pot-in-Pot (PIP) cooking method.
- VERSATILE - 2 tier stackable pans allowing for variety of foods to be cooked...
- HEALTHY & CONVENIENT - Skip the microwave ovens and reheat leftover food or curry in your...
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken! Enjoy~
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs (bone-in with skin)
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 very thin slice ginger
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) Japanese soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) mirin (Japanese Sweet Cooking Rice Wine)
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) Japanese cooking sake
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons (28g) white sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (230g) medium grain Calrose rice
- 1 ½ tablespoon (12g) cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons (30ml) water
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Marinate Chicken with Teriyaki Sauce: Mix 4 tbsp (60ml) Japanese Soy Sauce, 4 tbsp (60ml) Mirin, 4 tbsp (60ml) Sake, ¼ tsp (1.25ml) Sesame Oil, and 2 tbsp (28g) Sugar together to create Teriyaki Sauce Mixture. Taste the mixture to make sure it is balanced. Marinate the chicken thighs with Teriyaki Sauce for 20 minutes.
- Vaporize Alcohol Content in Marinade: Pour the marinade (without chicken thighs) in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (press Sauté button and click Adjust button to Sauté More function). Add 4 crushed garlic cloves + 1 very thin slice of ginger in pressure cooker. Let the teriyaki sauce mixture come to a boil, then let it boil for 30 seconds to allow the alcohol in sake to evaporate.
- Pressure Cook Teriyaki Chicken and Rice: Add the chicken thighs in Instant Pot with the skin side up. Then, place a steamer rack in Instant Pot and carefully place a bowl with 1 cup (230g) Calrose Rice on the rack. Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water in the bowl of rice. Ensure all the rice are soaked with water. Immediately close the lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 6 minutes. Turn off the heat and full Natural Release (roughly 10 minutes). Open the lid carefully.
- (Optional Flavor Enhancing Step) Preheat Oven: While the teriyaki chicken and rice are cooking in Instant Pot, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Thicken Teriyaki Sauce: Fluff the rice and set aside. Set aside the chicken thighs. Remove the ginger slice and garlic cloves. Turn heat to medium (Instant Pot: Press Sauté button). Taste the seasoning one more time. Add more Japanese soy sauce or sugar if desired. Mix the cornstarch with water, then mix it into the teriyaki sauce one third at a time until desired thickness.
- (Optional Flavor Enhancing Step) Apply Teriyaki Sauce and Finish in Oven: Brush the teriyaki sauce all over the chicken on both sides. Place the chicken thighs on a rack with the baking tray in the oven for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Serve: Serve immediately with rice and other side dishes.
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!