Learn how to cook chickpeas in Instant Pot! Quick & easy Instant Pot Chickpeas (Pressure Cooker Chickpeas) or Garbanzo Beans Recipe for sides, snacks, salads, or hummus. Check out the results for Soak vs. No Soaking Dried Chickpeas Experiment.
I’m obsessed with hummus. And oh boy, I was super thrilled when we finally shared our Instant Pot Hummus recipe with you. And I was even more excited to unite with so many fellow hummus lovers!! 😀
Behind the scenes of making this luxurious creamy smooth hummus, of course, is our Amy + Jacky’s Test Kitchen – Instant Pot Chickpeas Experiment! hehe~
What are Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)?
Chickpeas aka Garbanzo Beans are a nutrient-dense legume, that has a nutty buttery taste & creamy texture.
Chickpeas are a key ingredient in hummus and falafel. They’re often used in salads, snacks, soups, stews, curry, or ground into flour in Indian, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern cuisines.
Are Chickpeas Good for You?
Chickpeas are very healthy and are an excellent source of protein and fiber. Chickpeas are especially great for those on vegan, plant-based and gluten-free diets.
Chickpeas Nutrition Highlight
- Rich in protein
- Rich in dietary fiber
- Contain several key vitamins and minerals (exceptional level of iron, folate)
- Contain small but valuable amounts of antioxidant nutrients
- Improve digestion
- May help with weight loss
Instant Pot Chickpeas Experiment
We did 5+ chickpeas experiments to find the best cooking method for Soaked & No Soak Chickpeas in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
For our pressure cooker chickpeas experiments, we used this ratio to soak chickpeas:
- Chickpeas: 1 cup (225g) chickpeas
- Salt: 1 tbsp (17g) fine table salt
- Liquid: 4 cups (1L) cold water
- Duration: 10 hours
Result? After soaking overnight, the chickpeas are more plumped compared to the unsoaked chickpeas (as shown in the photo below).
Instant Pot Chickpeas Experiment Results
Here are the experiment results for cooking chickpeas in Instant Pot:
To Soak or Not to Soak Chickpeas?
Instant Pot Chickpeas Experiment Conclusions
- Cooking Time: cook faster than unsoaked chickpeas
- Structure: stay slightly more intact
- Texture: can become super soft and creamy
- Flavors: slightly less flavorful
- Cooking Time: requires a longer cooking time
- Texture: have a slight crunch to it
- Flavors: slightly more flavorful
P.S. We couldn’t test if the soaked chickpeas are more digestible than unsoaked chickpeas as Amy farted at about the same rate.
Time to learn how to cook chickpeas in Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Chickpeas
- 1 cup (225g) dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 whole head (40g) garlic , crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (212g) onion , halved
- 1 teaspoon (6g) fine salt (for soaked chickpeas) (or for unsoaked chickpeas, use 1 ½ teaspoon (9g) fine salt)
- 4 cups (1L) water or unsalted chicken stock
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Optional Step - Soak Chickpeas Overnight: Place 1 cup (225g) dried chickpeas and 1 tbsp (17g) fine table salt in a large container. Pour 4 cups (1L) cold water in the large container, then give it a few stirs. Allow chickpeas to soak overnight for at least 8 - 16 hours. *Pro Tip: If your house is very warm, place the large container in the fridge to avoid fermentation.
- Rinse Chickpeas: Rinse chickpeas under cold water, then pick out any stones or debris. Drain chickpeas well.
- Pressure Cook Chickpeas: Add 1 cup (225g) unsoaked chickpeas or all of the soaked chickpeas, 2 bay leaves, 1 whole head (40g) garlic, and 1 halved (212g) onion to the Instant Pot. Adding Salt:-For Unsoaked Chickpeas - add in 1 ½ tsp (9g) fine salt.-For Soaked Chickpeas - add in 1 tsp (6g) fine salt.Pour in 4 cups (1L) cold water or unsalted chicken stock, then give it a quick mix. With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.Pressure Cooking Method:-For Unsoaked Chickpeas - High Pressure 42 minutes (tender with a bit of chew) or 60 minutes (tender soft) + Natural Release 20 minutes-For Soaked Chickpeas - High Pressure 5 minutes (tender & creamy) + Natural Release 20 minutesAfter 20 minutes, release remaining pressure, then open the lid.
- Serve Instant Pot Chickpeas: Remove & discard onions and bay leaves. Taste the chickpeas to ensure they are fully cooked. Add more seasoning if necessary. Drain the chickpeas. Then, serve the chickpeas as a tasty side dish. Enjoy!~ 🙂
Instant Pot Chickpeas Step-by-Step Cooking Guide
Prepare Ingredients for Instant Pot Chickpeas:
*Pro Tip – Use Fresh Dry Chickpeas: Although chickpeas have a relatively long shelf life, older chickpeas become dry and may take a much longer cooking time to be softened. Sometimes the chickpeas can get so old & stale (even on store shelves) that they won’t cook properly even after long cooking time. So best to use fresh dry chickpeas if possible.
*Storage Tip: Store dried chickpeas in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place.
Optional Step – Soak Chickpeas Overnight
*Note: Proceed with this step if you prefer super soft and creamy chickpeas.
Place 1 cup (225g) dried chickpeas and 1 tbsp (17g) fine table salt in a large container.
Pour 4 cups (1L) cold water in the large container, then give it a few stirs.
Allow chickpeas to soak overnight for at least 8 – 16 hours.
*Pro Tip: If your house is very warm, place the large container in the fridge to avoid fermentation.
Rinse soaked or unsoaked chickpeas under cold water. Pick out any stones or debris. Drain well.
Pressure Cook Chickpeas
Add 1 cup (225g) unsoaked chickpeas, 2 bay leaves, 1 whole head garlic, and 1 halved onion to the Instant Pot.
*Note: If your chickpeas are soaked, add them all in as well.
- For Unsoaked Chickpeas: add in 1 ½ tsp (9g) fine salt.
- For Soaked Chickpeas: add in 1 tsp (6g) fine salt.
*Pro Tip: Adding salt to the chickpeas will not make it tough 🙂
Pour in 4 cups (1L) cold water or unsalted chicken stock, then give it a quick mix.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
Pressure Cooking Method:
- For Unsoaked Chickpeas – Pressure Cook at High Pressure 42 minutes (tender with a bit of chew) or 60 minutes (tender with not much resistance) + Natural Release 20 minutes
- For Soaked Chickpeas – Pressure Cook at High Pressure 5 minutes (tender & creamy) + Natural Release 20 minutes
After 20 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning Venting Knob to Venting Position.
When Floating Valve drops, open the lid carefully.
Serve Instant Pot Chickpeas
Remove & discard onions and bay leaves.
Taste the pressure cooker chickpeas and ensure they are fully cooked. Add more seasoning if necessary.
Drain the chickpeas. Then, serve the Instant Pot Chickpeas as a tasty side dish, snack; add them into salads, soups, or stews; or use them to make some luxurious creamy yummy hummus! 😀
*Pro Tip: If you wish, you can use the chickpea liquid (aka aquafaba) as a flavorless, odorless egg replacer in other recipes.
Enjoy your Creamy Pressure Cooker Chickpeas!~ 🙂
Tools for Instant Pot Chickpeas
More Instant Pot Beans Recipes You’ll Love
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!