Make this flavorful Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in HK Onion Sauce Recipe 港式洋葱豬扒. Tender & moist pork loin chops soaked in thick & rich onion sauce. Your family (including kids) will love this sweet, savory & sour umami dish! 😀
Mommy! This is so yummy! Can you teach me?
Jacky’s mom taught him how to make this Hong Kong Style Pork Chops in Onion Sauce when he was 9!
After receiving lots of love from our readers for our Instant Pot Pork Chops in HK Tomato Sauce, we decided to recreate a second classic dish for our Cha Chaan Teng 港式茶餐廳 (Hong Kong style cafes) series!
This recipe is inspired by another classic favorite – Hong Kong Style Pork Chops with Onion Sauce 港式洋葱豬扒, hence the name “HK Onion Sauce“.
We wanted to kick it up a notch by adding more complexity and depth to the flavorings.
So, we made some modifications to the ones you get from Cha Chaan Tengs by adding some extra ingredients to the onion sauce.
These ingredients complement well with the original sauce and help intensify the umami flavors. You’ll love the umami sauce!!
Tools for Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in HK Onion Sauce
Tips for Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in HK Onion Sauce
1. Purchasing Pork Chops: Try to choose pork chops with some fat marbling. The pork chops we used were roughly 1.25 inches thick.
2. What is the best cooking time for pressure cooker pork chops?
Many people have a love-hate relationship with pork chops because when they’re perfectly cooked, they’re deliciously tender & moist; but when they’re overcooked, they become tough & dry.
So, we did a Pork Chops Experiment to find the best cooking time to make perfectly cooked pressure cooker pork chops.
After testing with 5 batches of pork loin chops, we found cooking at High Pressure for 1 minute, then Natural Release gave the most satisfying results.
3. How to tenderize the Pork Loin Chops?
Tenderizing the pork chops is a very important step! Tenderizing the meat using the back-end of a heavy knife (see video) is a convenient technique we learnt from our grandparents.
The pounding will break up the meat fibers just enough. However, don’t over-pound the meat, as this will destroy the overall texture of the pork chops!!
Watch How To Make Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in HK Onion Sauce Video:
Can’t see the cooking video? Watch it here.
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make some Pressure Cooker Pork Chops in HK Onion Sauce!
Craving more? Subscribe to Pressure Cook Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Subscribe & Never Miss a Recipe!
Tested Pressure Cooker Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox Weekly. 100% Free
Recipe type: Dinner, Easy, Lunch, Main Course, Meat, Quick Meals, Sauce, Side Dish
Cuisine: Hong Kong
Serving: 2 - 4
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (1.25 inches thick)
- 1 small onion (120g), sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) balsamic vinegar + 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup (188 ml) unsalted homemade chicken stock
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- kosher salt
♥ Support us & Pay it forward by sharing this recipe & tips on Facebook & Pinterest, so others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂
- Tenderize Pork Chops: Use the backend of a heavy knife and pound both sides of the pork chops to tenderize the meat.
- Marinate Pork Chops: Marinate the tenderized pork chops for 20 minutes with ½ teaspoon of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil, ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine.
- Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be when you place the pork chops into the pot (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT). This will prevent the pork loin chops from sticking to the pot.
- Sauté Pork Chops: Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the pot. Ensure to coat the oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Add the marinated pork chops into the pot, then let it brown for roughly 1 – 1.5 minutes on each side (don’t need to keep flipping). Do not let it burn. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté Onions: Add in the sliced onions. Add a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper to season if you like. Cook the onions for roughly 1 minute until soften.
- Deglaze: Add in 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and partially deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Create HK Onion Sauce: Add in ¾ cup (188 ml) of unsalted chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix well and fully deglaze. Taste the seasoning and adjust with kosher salt if necessary.
- Pressure Cook Pork Chops: Place the pork chops with all the meat juice in the pot. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 1 minute (Electric & Stovetop Pressure Cookers). Turn off the heat and fully Natural Release (roughly 10 minutes). Open the lid.
- Taste & Thicken HK Onion Sauce: Remove the pork chops and set aside. Turn heat to medium (Instant Pot: Press sauté button). Taste the seasoning and add more salt if desired. Mix the cornstarch with water and mix it into the onion sauce one third at a time until desired thickness.
- Serve: Drizzle the onion sauce over the pork chops and serve immediately!
Total Cooking Time: total cooking time stated in the recipe does not include inactive time (i.e. time for marinating).