Make this Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Easy Homemade Chicken Gravy Recipe. Imagine a bite of tender & juicy chicken coated with crispy & buttery breading, dipped into rich & flavorful chicken gravy made from scratch. You’ll love this delicious shortcut to make oven-fried chicken!
Some of our dear readers have requested for a Pressure Cooker Fried Chicken Recipe. As much as we both love to eat fried chicken, we’re sorry to break the news that electric pressure cookers are unsuitable to make KFC Fried Chicken. 🙁
But wait! It’s possible to make crispy chicken with our pressure cookers. Of course, with a little help from our oven. 😉 It won’t be the same as deep fried chicken, but it’s a great alternative.
Why we like this method?
- Saves a bit of time (+ energy!) compared to making regular oven-fried chicken
- Makes a rich & flavorful homemade chicken gravy (full of fragrant chicken goodness!!) from scratch in no time!
- Chicken stays juicy, moist, and tender
- Healthier than deep fried chicken (means room for some more!)
Ingredients for Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Chicken Gravy
- Chicken thighs
- Garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- Cornstarch + water
- All-purpose flour
- Extra large eggs
- Panko bread crumbs
Tools for Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Chicken Gravy
Tips for Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Chicken Gravy
Food Safe Check: Check the chicken thighs’ internal temperature with a Food Thermometer and make sure it has reached at least 165°F on the thickest part of the meat without touching the bone.
Watch How To Make This Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Chicken Gravy:
Can’t see the cooking video? Watch it here.
Enjoyed this Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken Recipe? You may also like our Katsu Curry Recipe (Japanese Curry with Tonkatsu) – a delicious curry rice served with crispy breaded pork cutlets!
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make some Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken with Easy Homemade Chicken Gravy!
Craving more? Subscribe to Pressure Cook Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch, Main Course, Meat, Sauce, Snack, Easy
Serving: 2 - 4
- 6 chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup cold running tap water
- 1 pinch rosemary
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 – 1 ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (depending on the size of chicken thighs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- 1 – 1 ½ cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- Pressure Cook the Chicken Thighs: Add onion, garlic, and rosemary to the bottom of the pressure cooker. Pour in 1 cup of cold running water and place a steamer basket into the pressure cooker. Place chicken thighs in the basket. Avoid stacking them too tightly. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 6 minutes (small thighs) to 9 minutes (large thighs). Turn off the heat and Full Natural Release (roughly 10 minutes). Open the lid carefully.
- Prepare the Crispy Breading: While the chicken thighs are pressure cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 – 1½ cup of panko breadcrumbs to the skillet. Toast the breadcrumbs until golden brown. Taste and add a small amount of kosher salt for seasoning.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F while the pressure cooker is natural releasing.
- Simmer, Shake and Bake: Check with a food thermometer to ensure the chicken thighs have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F on the thickest part without touching the bone. Remove the chicken thighs from the pressure cooker.
Pat dry the chicken thighs with paper towel. Lightly season with salt and ground black pepper.
Lightly coat the chicken thighs with flour, dip them into the beaten eggs, and cover them with toasted buttery breadcrumbs. Place the chicken thighs on a wired rack and into the oven for roughly 5 to 10 minutes until the toasted breadcrumbs stick onto the chicken.
- Make the Chicken Gravy: While the chicken thighs are in the oven, heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté). Taste and season the chicken dripping mixture with 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce (mostly for color), salt and ground black pepper. Taste the seasoning one last time and add more salt if desired. Mix the cornstarch with water and mix it into the chicken gravy one third at a time until desired thickness.
- Serve: Serve piping hot with your favorite side dishes!
♥ Spread the Love by sharing your food photo with hashtag #AmyJacky on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂