Make this Comforting Pressure Cooker Beef Stew in Instant Pot. Spoonful of juicy tender beef brisket paired with rich thick tomato sauce. This hearty comforting dish is so satisfying and easy to eat. Deliciously perfect over pasta, rice, or just eat it as is!
Beef stews are common in many cultures since the ancient times.
Regardless if it’s being cooked in wine, curry, peanut sauce, or even beer (yes, beer!), the dish often includes veggies like carrots, potatoes, onions, and a tough cut of beef that’s suitable for slow-cooking.
We love beef stews because the depth of flavors in that rich thick sauce is just incredible!
Oh, and the tender and juicy cubes of beef. Sooo delicious. Such a homey and comforting dish to eat, especially on a cold day.
If you don’t have the time to cook a hearty pot of beef stew on the stove. Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker come to rescue!
No more simmering for hours and hours on the stove or 10+ hours in the slow cooker!
With just 15 mins prep, you can enjoy this rich and tender pressure cooker beef stew in 1.5 hours. YES!! 😀
Oh, look at that beef brisket! Soaked with juicy goodness, it’s remarkably fork-tender without the need to braise in the oven or chill overnight in the fridge.
This hearty pressure cooker stewed beef is very easy to eat.
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe Tips
1. Pressure Cooking Beef Brisket
Beef brisket is a tough cut of meat full of beefy flavors, great for BBQ, braise, roast, or simmer. It has all the gelatinous connective tissues that give a moist and juicy stew.
Though it’s not hard to extract flavors from this cut of meat, it’s quite tricky to be able to retain the meat’s moisture and tenderize the meat. You must cook it correctly, or else the brisket will become tough and dry, which is super chewy and hard to eat.
Here comes the beauty of pressure cooking. Pressure cooking forces the moisture into the meat and is able to break down the tissues nicely, resulting in fork-tender juicy meat.
*Beef Brisket Cooking Time:
Be mindful that we used beef brisket in this recipe. Since, beef brisket is a very flavorful, yet tough cut, that’s why we needed a longer cooking time – High Pressure for 70 minutes.
If you’re substituting the recipe with stew meat, you can cook at High Pressure for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Can I Use Beef Chuck Roast Instead?
If you’re using beef chuck roast, use this recipe: Instant Pot Beef Stew.
3. Searing Whole Beef Brisket
Searing the beef as a whole helps the beef retain more moisture than searing them as cubes. This will caramelize the meat and add depth to the stew.
4. Adding Potatoes on Top
The potatoes in the recipe act as a natural thickener. Make sure you’re adding them above everything else, so your pressure cooker can get to pressure.
Tools for Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
Now it’s your turn to take out your Instant Pot and cook some Comforting Beef Stew in Pressure Cooker!
Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
- 1½ pound (680g) whole beef brisket
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil , divided
- 2 small onions , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed and chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 2 carrots , chopped
- A dash sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon (8g) flour
- 2 bay leaves
- A few pinches dried thyme
- 3 russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes , cubed
Chicken Stock Mixture
- 2 cups (500ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) regular soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons (50ml) tomato paste
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click the adjust button to go to Sauté More function) over medium-high heat. Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT).
- Brown Beef Brisket: Trim off excess fat on the beef brisket. Then, generously season the beef brisket with kosher salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil in the pot. Ensure to coat the oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Sear both sides of brisket for roughly 5 minutes per side without constantly flipping. Then, remove beef brisket and set aside on a chopping board.
- Make Chicken Stock Mixture: While the brisket is browning in the pressure cooker, combine unsalted chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, regular soy sauce, fish sauce, and tomato paste in a medium bowl.
- Saute Vegetables: Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil to the pot, then add onion and season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are tender and brown, then add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add chopped celery, carrot, and a pinch of kosher salt and pepper, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze: Add a dash of sherry wine and completely deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Then, allow the wine to reduce. Add the Chicken Stock Mixture to the pot.
- Cut Beef Brisket: Cut the beef brisket into 1 – 1.5 inches cube chunks, then toss with flour.
- Pressure Cook Beef Stew: Add the beef briskets chunks and make sure the briskets are spread out, so each piece can soak the stock mixture. Don’t stir the beef briskets as you don’t want too much flour to get into the stock mixture. Then, add bay leaves and rub dried thymes against your fingers and sprinkle them in the pot. Add the potatoes on top. Pressure Cook at:Electric Pressure Cooker: High Pressure for 70 minutes, then Natural ReleaseStovetop Pressure Cooker: High Pressure for 55 minutes, then Natural Release
- Serve Pressure Cooker Beef Stew: Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with pasta, rice, or just eat it as is.
- Optional step: For more texture, add additional parboiled potatoes, chopped carrots, and chopped celery to the stew. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
Other Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Rich & hearty Guinness Beef Stew in Instant Pot cooked with Creamy Pot-in-Pot Mashed Potatoes. 😀
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!