5 mins prep to make this Easy One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta Recipe! Comforting vegetarian & vegan pasta bursting with umami flavors. This 30-mins Pressure Cooker Pasta meal is a great quick and easy dinner your family will love! 😀
This time, we have a meatless vegetarian & vegan pasta in mind. 🙂
One of our Vegetarian restaurant partners specializes in creating classic comfort food with a vegetarian twist. The first time he invited us to taste test his gluten free vegetarian lasagna creation, as a classic lasagna lover, I was blown away by how the textures resemble the meat version!
Inspired by his vegetarian twists, we ventured to use mushrooms and zucchini squash as meat substitutes to create a vegetarian/vegan pressure cooker pasta. Mushroom is meaty in texture while zucchini’s crunch and texture works surprisingly well as a meat substitute in classic carnivore or pasta dishes.
Time for some Easy One Pot Pressure Cooker Pasta!
Ingredients for One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta
- White mushrooms
- Zucchini squash
- Sherry wine
- Dried oregano
- Dried Basil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Unsalted chicken stock or (Vegetarian/Vegan: vegetable stock + 2 cups water)
- Tomato paste
- Light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- Worcestershire sauce (omit if vegetarian/vegan)
- Fish sauce (omit if vegetarian/vegan)
Tools for One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta
Tips for One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta
1. Prevent Overcook Zucchini: Make sure the zucchini are thickly sliced to avoid overcooked Pressure Cooker zucchini (see picture below)
2. For Evenly Cooked Pasta: make sure all the Penne Rigate Pasta are completely submerged into the sauce before pressure cooking.
3. Dump-and-Go Option: For Busy families, you can dump all the ingredients into the pot for a fast and easy one pot meal. Just take note that the flavors will take a hit. Make sure to add the Penne Rigate pasta and tomato paste last and start the cooking cycle immediately.
Watch How To Make One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta Video:
Can’t see the cooking video? Watch it here.
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make some One Pot Pressure Cooker Penne Rigate Pasta!
Recipe type: Dinner, Easy, Lunch, Main Course, Pasta, Quick Meals, Sauce, Vegetarian, Vegan
Serving: 2 - 4
- 1 lb (454 g) penne pasta
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small shallot, diced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini squash, thickly sliced
- A dash of sherry wine
- A pinch of dried oregano
- A pinch of dried basil
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Prepare Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click the adjust button to Sauté More function). Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be before adding any ingredients (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
*If you prefer crunchy zucchini squash, sauté sliced zucchini squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Sauté the Onion, Garlic, and Shallot (Flavor Enhancement Step): Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot. Add minced shallot and sliced onion, then sauté. Add a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper to season. Stir occasionally until slightly browned. Add minced garlic and stir for roughly 30 seconds until fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms, a pinch of dried oregano, a pinch of dried basil, and sliced zucchini squash (omit zucchini squash if you already sauteed them) and cook for another minute. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Deglaze and Create Pasta Sauce: Pour in a dash of sherry wine and deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Mix 1 cup of unsalted chicken stock (or vegetable stock), 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce in the pot.
- Pressure Cook the Pasta: Pour Penne in the sauce. Place 156 ml tomato paste on top of the pasta and mix (SEE NOTES). Test seasoning and adjust. Ensure all Penne are completely submerged in the sauce. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes before Quick Release.
- Serve: Taste pasta, if you find them too hard, close lid and let the leftover heat cook them until desired doneness. If you have set aside some crunchy zucchini squash, now is the time to mix them in and serve immediately.
*Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese to take it up a level. Enjoy~
♥ Spread the Love by sharing your food photo with hashtag #AmyJacky on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂
Mixing Tomato Paste: Mixing 156 ml tomato paste with 3 cups of liquid should be completely safe. However, avoid mixing the tomato paste in if you are afraid of scorching.