Easy, fast pressure cooker chicken and rice is the perfect one pot meal for busy weeknights. Tender chicken, juicy mushrooms, and fragrant rice make the ultimate comfort food.
Jacky loves to eat Chinese clay pot rice. The kind that’s cooked under an open fire with the flame so big that it wraps around the whole pot. Best if it’s cooked with a coal stove. We missed it so much that it was the first thing we ate in our last trip to Hong Kong. Ha! It’s the ultimate one pot meal that’s so comforting to eat.
When we don’t have the time or patience to make clay pot rice (when our tummies are protesting that is), we would make these EASY one pot meals in pressure cookers. Yes, this steamed rice won’t be the same without the scorched rice, but if you want a quick and easy meal that you can throw together in the last minute, this is it! 😀
There are so many variations of one pot rice we want to try!! The first one pot rice we’ve experimented is a Cantonese classic – Shiitake Mushroom Chicken and Rice 北菇滑雞蒸飯. A bite of juicy mushroom with tender and moist chicken, paired with perfectly cooked fragrant rice full of chicken flavors. It’s so deliciously easy to eat.
Ingredients For Chinese Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Jasmine rice
- Dried shiitake mushrooms
- Ginger (garnish)
- Green onions (garnish)
- Marinade Sauce (regular soy sauce, , sugar, corn starch, Shaoxing wine, white pepper powder, ginger, five spice powder)
The steps are simple, all you need to do is…
- Chop the chicken drumsticks
- Rinse the rice
- Throw everything in the pot
Easy, fast, and super convenient one pot meal. So awesome to make for the whole family on busy weeknights!
Chinese Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice Tips
Please carefully measure the amount of water you use!! This is very critical. Don’t wing it. If you have too much water, the rice will end up mushy; if you have too little water, it’ll end up dry and hard, or even burnt!
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and cook some One Pot Chinese Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice!
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms , marinated
- 6 - 8 chicken drumsticks , marinated
- 1 ½ cup (345g) Jasmine rice , rinse
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cup (375ml) water
- Shredded ginger & green onions for garnish
- 1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing rice wine
- A dash white pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger , shredded
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Rehydrate Shiitake Mushrooms: Place the dried shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl. Rehydrate them with cold water for 20 minutes.
- Marinate Chicken and Mushrooms: Chop the drumsticks into 2 pieces. Then, marinate the chicken and mushrooms with the marinade sauce for 20 minutes.
- Rinse Rice: Rinse rice under cold water by gently scrubbing the rice with your fingertips in a circling motion. Pour out the milky water, and continue to rinse until the water is clear. Then, drain the water.
- Pressure Cook Chicken and Rice: Add 1 tsp salt and 1½ cup of cold water in Instant Pot. Give it a quick mix. Add in the marinated chicken and mushrooms.*Pro Tip: To avoid the burn error, try to fill the whole bottom of Instant Pot with a single layer of chicken pieces and mushrooms to avoid the rice from touching the bottom of the pot.Add in the rice and make sure all the rice are submerged in the water. Do not mix.Close the lid. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 9 minutes + Natural Release for 15 minutes.
- Serve: Serve immediately & enjoy~
Looking for more pressure cooker chicken and rice recipes?
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!