Learn how to make the Tastiest Sweet Instant Pot Taro Milk (Chinese: 香濃芋頭鮮奶) with 5 ingredients in 25 mins! You’ll fall in love with this Creamy Rich Fresh Taro Milk packed with thick & smooth mashed taro & purple sweet potatoes. A satisfying, filling & delicious breakfast or light dessert drink!
Taiwanese Bubble Tea has been having a huge comeback, rapidly taking over Asian countries (plus North American cities) with healthier and more innovative drinks!
Tiger Sugar (老虎堂), Yifang (一芳水果茶), Xing Fu Tang (辛福堂), Chatime (日出茶太), The Alley, (鹿角巷)…and so so many more brands are releasing more and more yummy “dessert” drinks like Brown Sugar Boba Fresh Milk (黑糖珍珠鲜奶), a variety of Fruit Teas (水果茶) & Milk Teas (奶茶).
The new Boba trend is on fire!
With an incurable obsession with Taro and all things purple, I order Fresh Taro Milk every time I visit a new store – in hopes to find the Best Taro Milk! 😀
So, why not develop our very own version of the tastiest Taro Milk in our Instant Pot?
What is Taro?
Taro root is a starchy root vegetable originally cultivated in Asia.
It’s a good source of fiber and many vitamins & minerals that benefit our overall health (i.e. helps improve digestion, lower blood sugar levels, boost immune system).
If you’re familiar with Haiwaiian food, the popular Hawaiian side dish “Poi” is exactly made of Taro root! 🙂
Time to make the tastiest Taro Milk in Instant Pot!
Step-by-Step Guide: Instant Pot Taro Milk
Prepare Ingredients for Instant Pot Taro Milk:
*Pro Tip: We’ve added purple sweet potato in this Taro Milk Recipe for a boost of natural sweetness and more beautiful purple coloring.
*Pro Tip: You may want to wear gloves to prepare the Taro because sometimes taro may irritate some people’s skin.
Cut the taro and sweet purple potato into 1.5″ thick pieces.
Tools for Instant Pot Taro Milk
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
- Potato Masher
- Pyrex Measuring Cups
- Instant Pot Trivet or Steamer Basket
- Mixing Bowl
Pressure Cook Taro & Sweet Potato
Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water, and place steamer rack in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Place 1.3lb (600g) taro chunks in Instant Pot.
Layer 0.6lb (300g) purple sweet potato chunks on top.
*Pro Tip: You can use more or less taro and purple sweet potatoes. Just aim for a 2:1 Taro to Purple Sweet Potato Ratio.
Lock the lid, then turn Venting Knob to the Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes, then Quick Release.
Turn off the heat. Release all the pressure by turning the Venting Knob to Venting Position.
Open the lid carefully.
Make Mashed Taro
*Pro Tip: We’re aiming to kind of overcook the Taro and Sweet Potatoes, so it’ll be a lot easier to mash with no ill effect on taste.
Place the pressure cooked taro and sweet potato chunks in a large mixing bowl.
Mash the taro and sweet potatoes while they’re still hot. Add in 2 large pinches of salt and ⅓ cup (68g) white sugar as you’re mashing.
*Pro Tip: Adjust how much you mash your taro according to if you like your Taro Milk with some taro chunks, taro bits, or if you like it ultra smooth with no chunks at all.
*Pro Tip: For the optimal sweetness, taste and adjust the mashed taro until it tastes just a little too sweet for you. But as always, you can use less or more sugar according to your personal preferences. 🙂
The mashed taro can be used immediately or chilled in the fridge (can store for ~3 days) or in the freezer (can store up to 2 months).
Make Instant Pot Taro Milk
*Pro Tip: The milk you use in this step can be cold or hot.
Mix ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (100g) warm mashed taro with roughly ⅓ cup (83ml) milk until desired consistency.
*Pro Tip: if you’re using chilled mashed taro, heat ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (100g) mashed taro in a microwave for 30 – 45 seconds.
Depends on how smooth you want your taro drink, you can mix the taro by hand or in a blender.
*Pro Tip: If you are mixing the taro and milk with a blender, skip heating the mashed taro prior to blending.
Add the taro milk paste into a cup. Top it up with roughly ⅔ cup (167ml) milk. Give it a few quick stir and serve immediately 🙂
Enjoy your creamy deliciously rich Instant Pot Taro Milk!
Instant Pot Taro Milk
- 1.3 pounds (600g) taro , 1.5” thick chunks
- 0.67 pounds (300g) purple sweet potato , 1.5” thick chunks
- 2 large pinches salt
- ⅓ cup (68g) - ½ cup (104g) white sugar
- 2.25 liters milk (cold or hot)
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Pressure Cook Taro & Sweet Potato: Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water, and place steamer rack in Instant Pot. Place 1.3lb (600g) taro chunks in Instant Pot. Layer 0.6lb (300g) purple sweet potato chunks on top. Lock the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes, then Quick Release. Open the lid.
- Make Mashed Taro: Place the cooked taro and sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash the hot taro and sweet potatoes with 2 large pinches of salt and ⅓ cup (68g) white sugar.
- Make Taro Milk: Mix ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (100g) warm mashed taro with roughly ⅓ cup (83ml) milk until desired consistency. Add the taro milk paste into a cup. Top it up with roughly ⅔ cup (167ml) milk. Give it a few quick stirs and serve immediately. Enjoy~ 🙂*Note: For making the best Taro Milk, check out all the pro tips in Recipe Notes section below.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!