Make these 4-ingredient Easy Apple Turnovers with only 10-mins prep! You’ll love the flaky & crisp buttery puff pastry, bursting with warm cinnamon-spiced applesauce. Perfect Autumn desserts.
After all the apple-picking and applesauce-making, you just want to sit back and relax with a cup of warm apple cider and some comforting sweet apple treats.
You’ll enjoy these Easy Apple Turnovers because:
- 4 ingredients are all you need
- Quick to prep – only 10 mins!
- Easy to make – cut the puff pastry, scoop some applesauce, seal, brush the eggwash, and bake
- Delicious – a bite of crisp puff pastry filled with chunky cinnamon applesauce
4-Ingredient Easy Apple Turnovers
- Puff pastry (homemade or store bought)
- Applesauce with apple chunks
- Optional: Sugar
Check out: this simple Pressure Cooker Applesauce Guide before making your own applesauce in pressure cooker.
Homemade Puff Pastry vs. Store-bought Puff Pastry
the satisfaction from a bite of a light, flaky, and crisp puff pastry treat..
Tarts, pies, strudels, turnovers, palmiers…
or even Gordon Ramsay’s famous Beef Wellington.
No doubt that buttery puff pastry is addictive.
It’s really a humble mixture of flour, butter, and water.
Let’s face it:
Homemade puff pastry is not too complicated to make, but it takes hours of labor and patience.
That’s why high quality store-bought all butter puff pastry is a huge lifesaver!
So, we keep a couple of pre-made puff pastry sheets in our freezer for those emergency craving days or friends-coming-over-soon-and-we-need-desserts-NOW days.
Tool for Easy Apple Turnovers
Tips for Easy Apple Turnovers
1. All-Butter Puff Pastry: when you purchase pre-made puff pastry sheets, find high quality ones made with only butter (no shortening). Makes a big difference in taste.
2. Chunks vs No Chunks: we tried using applesauce with apple chunks and smooth applesauce without chunks. The ones with chunks work better, but the ones without chunks worked fine too.
3. Preheat Oven to 400°F: be sure to place the apple turnovers in the oven after it reaches 400°F, the pastry will puff a little more this way.
4. Step 5 – Cutting Vents: prevent soggy center by cutting a few vents on the turnovers’ surface to allow moisture escape while baking.
Craving more? Subscribe to Pressure Cook Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Recipe type: Bakery, Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Snack, Easy
Cuisine: American, British
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (homemade or store bought)
- 4 tablespoons applesauce with apple chunks
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional: Sugar
- Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the Puff Pastry: sprinkle your clean surface lightly with all-purpose flour. Unfold the thawed puff pastry. Roll it out carefully to a 2mm thick square with a rolling pin. Cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares.
- Fold & Seal the Apple Turnovers: Add a tablespoon of applesauce to the center of each puff pastry sheet. Fold them from corner to corner to form a triangle shape. First, seal the edges by gently pressing the puff pastry together with your fingers, then press with a fork.
- Brush with Egg Wash: Brush the egg wash evenly onto the turnovers’ surface with a basting brush. This gives them a golden brown color out of the oven.
- Cut the Apple Turnovers: Carefully cut a few vents on the turnovers’ surface with a fork or knife. This prevents a soggy center by allowing inner moisture to escape. (Optional): Sprinkle some sugar on the turnovers for additional sweetness.
- Bake the Apple Turnovers: Carefully place the turnovers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Put in a 400°F oven until golden brown (roughly 20 – 25 minutes).
- Serve: Remove from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature before serving.
♥ Spread the Love by sharing this recipe, so others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂