Make these 4-ingredient Easy Apple Turnovers with only 10-mins prep! You’ll love the flaky & crisp buttery puff pastry, bursting with warm cinnamon-spiced applesauce. Perfect Autumn desserts.
After all the apple-picking and applesauce-making, you just want to sit back and relax with a cup of warm apple cider and some comforting sweet apple treats.
You’ll enjoy these Easy Apple Turnovers because:
- 4 ingredients are all you need
- Quick to prep – only 10 mins!
- Easy to make – cut the puff pastry, scoop some applesauce, seal, brush the eggwash, and bake
- Delicious – a bite of crisp puff pastry filled with chunky cinnamon applesauce
4-Ingredient Easy Apple Turnovers
- Puff pastry (homemade or store bought)
- Applesauce with apple chunks
- Optional: Sugar
Check out: this simple Pressure Cooker Applesauce Guide before making your own applesauce in pressure cooker.
Homemade Puff Pastry vs. Store-bought Puff Pastry
the satisfaction from a bite of a light, flaky, and crisp puff pastry treat..
Tarts, pies, strudels, turnovers, palmiers…
or even Gordon Ramsay’s famous Beef Wellington.
No doubt that buttery puff pastry is addictive.
It’s really a humble mixture of flour, butter, and water.
Let’s face it:
Homemade puff pastry is not too complicated to make, but it takes hours of labor and patience.
That’s why high quality store-bought all butter puff pastry is a huge lifesaver!
So, we keep a couple of pre-made puff pastry sheets in our freezer for those emergency craving days or friends-coming-over-soon-and-we-need-desserts-NOW days.
Tool for Easy Apple Turnovers
Tips for Easy Apple Turnovers
1. All-Butter Puff Pastry: when you purchase pre-made puff pastry sheets, find high quality ones made with only butter (no shortening). Makes a big difference in taste.
2. Chunks vs No Chunks: we tried using applesauce with apple chunks and smooth applesauce without chunks. The ones with chunks work better, but the ones without chunks worked fine too.
3. Preheat Oven to 400°F: be sure to place the apple turnovers in the oven after it reaches 400°F, the pastry will puff a little more this way.
4. Step 5 – Cutting Vents: prevent soggy center by cutting a few vents on the turnovers’ surface to allow moisture escape while baking.
Time to make Easy Apple Turnovers!
Easy Apple Turnovers
- 1 sheet puff pastry (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 tablespoons applesauce with apple chunks
- 1 egg , beaten
- Optional: Sugar
♥ Share this Recipe so We can create more yummy recipes for you. Thank you 🙂
- Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare Puff Pastry: Sprinkle your clean surface lightly with all-purpose flour. Unfold the thawed puff pastry. Roll it out carefully to a 2mm thick square with a rolling pin. Cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares.
- Fold & Seal Apple Turnovers: Add a tablespoon of applesauce to the center of each puff pastry sheet. Fold them from corner to corner to form a triangle shape. First, seal the edges by gently pressing the puff pastry together with your fingers, then press with a fork.
- Brush with Egg Wash: Brush the egg wash evenly onto the turnovers’ surface with a basting brush. This gives them a golden brown color out of the oven.
- Cut Apple Turnovers: Carefully cut a few vents on the turnovers’ surface with a fork or knife. This prevents a soggy center by allowing inner moisture to escape. (Optional): Sprinkle some sugar on the turnovers for additional sweetness.
- Bake Apple Turnovers: Carefully place the turnovers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Put in a 400°F oven until golden brown (roughly 20 – 25 minutes).
- Serve: Remove from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature before serving.
All Our Pressure Cooker Recipes
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate. This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you. Thank you!