1. Best Pressure Cooking Time: The cooking times are tested in 6qt Instant Pot at Sea Level. Use our time chart as a reference guide. Make sure to adjust according to your texture preference and altitude (see chart).
2. Piercing the Skin: You don't need to poke the skin before pressure cooking sweet potatoes in Instant Pot.
3. How to Buy Sweet Potatoes
- Measuring Circumference: Wrap your measuring tape around the whole sweet potatoes once to find the circumference
- Sweet Potatoes with a Circumference of 11 Inches or More: Save time by cutting the sweet potatoes in half (lengthwise) before pressure cooking. This will cut short the pressure cook time from 45 mins to 25 mins!
- Cooking More Sweet Potatoes: If you're pressure cooking more sweet potatoes or using an 8qt Instant Pot, you may need to decrease the pressure cooking time by 1 to 3 minutes depending on how many you're cooking. Make sure not to pack them too tightly and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Purple Sweet Potatoes: We briefly tested a few purple sweet potatoes with the cooking time chart and they worked.
4. How to Store Sweet Potatoes
- Size: look for small to medium sweet potatoes
- Weight: feels heavy for their size
- Appearance: skin should be firm, smooth (not highly wrinkled), even-toned, no brown/black discoloration, hydrated, no soft spots, no bruises, not wet, no freshly growing roots or sign of sprouting
5. Sweet Potatoes Toppings Ideas: Butter, salt and pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, maple syrup, sour cream, chives, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt, Jalapenos, pico de gallo + black beans, shredded chicken, bacon + egg + cheese, guacamole.
Rate Amy + Jacky's Recipe: If you've tried our recipe, rate the recipe in the Comments section. Thank you!
- Cool, Well Ventilated, Dark Place: Try to store sweet potatoes in a loosely covered bag or basket to allow air circulation (e.g. wrap in newspaper or brown paper bags); don't refrigerate because they don't keep well in the fridge.
- Storage Duration (if stored properly):
- Raw Sweet Potatoes: last for about 3 - 5 weeks
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes: last for 7 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container
- Still Good to Eat? You can cut it open and check. If there are no dark brown spots inside the flesh, it should still be good to eat.
Serving: 300g | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.8g | Protein: 2.1g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 41mg | Fiber: 3.8g | Sugar: 8.7g