Instant Pot Chinese Sweet Potato Soup
Super easy to make 5-ingredient Classic Instant Pot Chinese Sweet Potato Soup (Chinese: 番薯糖水)! Smooth, light, sweet-gingery Hong Kong dessert soup. Budget, nourishing, & satisfyingly delicious!
Servings 4 -6
- 2 ½ pounds (1025g) sweet potatoes , roughly cut into 2” chunks
- 3 tablespoons (40g) ginger slices (use old ginger & adjust amount accordingly)
- 4 cups (1L) cold water
- A pinch salt
- 1 piece (93g) brown sugar in piece (Chinese: 片糖)
Pressure Cook Chinese Sweet Potato Soup: Add 1 (93g) brown sugar in pieces (片糖), a pinch of salt, and ginger slices in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Add in 2 ½ lbs (1025g) sweet potato chunks, then pour in 4 cups (1L) cold water. Ensure the sweet potato chunks are submerged in the water. Close lid and turn Venting Knob to Sealing position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 1 minute, then 5 minutes Quick Release. After 5 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning the Venting Knob to the Venting position. Remove the lid carefully.
Thicken Chinese Sweet Potato Soup: The Sweet Potato Soup will look quite watery. It's important to bring the sweet potato soup back to a simmer by pressing the "Cancel" button, then "Saute" button. Let it simmer. Break down the sweet potatoes slightly with a wooden spoon, then mix the soup to give it more body. This will take a few minutes. Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more brown sugar in pieces if necessary.
Serve Instant Pot Chinese Sweet Potato Soup: Discard the ginger slices. Serve this Chinese Sweet Potato Soup hot or cold. If you are serving it cold, add a bit more sugar. Enjoy~
*Rate the Recipe: If you've tried the recipe, don't forget to Rate the Recipe in the Comments Section. Thank you! ?
- Brown Sugar in Pieces (Chinese: 片糖): Try to find them in your local Asian markets as they'll be much cheaper! :)
- Ginger: Use old ginger for a stronger & more aromatic taste. If you enjoy a more gingery spicy Sweet Potato Soup, feel free to add more ginger slices according to your preferences.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 26815IU | Vitamin C: 4.7mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1.2mg