8 ingredients + 10 mins prep to make this healthy Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup Recipe 青紅蘿蔔豬腱湯! Comforting homemade Chinese soup that is super easy to make. Enjoy~ 😀
Chinese soup to me is love.
One of the things I miss the most from home is my mom’s homemade Chinese soups. Growing up, when I pull all-nighters, or when she hears me cough, she would immediately make Chinese soups for me. It’s her way of expressing “I love you“. 🙂
Chinese soups, with thousands of years of history, are very important in Chinese cuisine. A meal isn’t complete without a good bowl of comforting soup. They’re more than a regular dish to fill your tummy or to enjoy.
According to Chinese medicine practices, many Chinese soups have health benefits such as improving immune system, skin conditions (beauty effects!!), appetite, or cure sickness.
It usually takes a long time to make a flavorful pot of soup. However, with the help of our pressure cooker, we can finally enjoy flavorful and healthy Chinese soups using a much shorter cooking time!
We received a lot of Pressure Cooker Soup requests, so we’re kick-starting our Pressure Cooker Soup Recipes with this Pork Shank Carrots Soup 青紅蘿蔔豬腱湯.
It’s one of the most common & simple homemade Cantonese soups. According to Chinese medicine practices, this Pork Shank Carrots Soup can clear away internal “heat”, improve digestive system, and “clear” throat & cough.
Ingredients for Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup
- Green radish
- Pork shank
- Dried jujubes (Red dates/Chinese dates) 紅棗 – we bought ours at our local traditional Chinese medicine & herbs store. You may find these at local Asian markets too.
- Chenpi 陳皮 (dried mandarin peel)
- Sea salt
- Cold running tap water
Tools for Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup
Tips for Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup
Clean the Pork Shank: We parboil the pork shank or any other bones and meat to clean and remove the excess fat whenever we make Chinese soups. For this recipe, we parboiled the pork shank for 3 minutes, then rinsed it in cold tap water.
Watch How To Make This Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup:
Can’t see the cooking video? Watch it here.
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make some Pressure Cooker Pork Shank Carrots Soup!
Craving more? Subscribe to Pressure Cook Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch, Meat, Soup, Vegetables, Super Easy
Serving: 2 - 4
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped (roughly 1 ½ pound / 680 grams)
- 1 large green radish, roughly chopped (roughly 1 ¾ pound / 800 grams)
- 1 pork shank (roughly 1 ½ pound / 680 grams)
- 4 quarts of cold running tap water (4 liters)
- 1 thin slice of ginger
- 2 dried jujubes 紅棗
- 1 small piece of chenpi 陳皮 (dried mandarin peel)
- Sea salt to taste
♥ Support us & Pay it forward by sharing this recipe & tips on Facebook & Pinterest, so others can enjoy it too! Thank you 🙂
- Clean the Pork Shank: Bring 2L of water to a boil. Then, boil the pork shank for 3 minutes to clean and remove the excess fat. Remove the pork shank and rinse it in cold tap water. We take this step whenever we make Chinese soups with pork shank or any other bones and meat.
- Prepare the Ingredients: Soak 1 small piece of chenpi in cold water for 20 minutes. Wash the dried jujubes with cold running tap water. Prepare the rest of the ingredients as listed.
- Pressure Cook the Soup: Place all the ingredients into the pressure cooker. Pour 2L of cold running tap water into the pot. Do not add any salt. Close the pressure cooker’s lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and fully Natural Release (roughly 20 – 25 minutes).
- Seasoning: Carefully open the lid and heat up the pressure cooker to bring the soup back to a full boil. Add sea salt to taste. (Make sure to add in the salt slowly and keep tasting. Do not over season.) For reference: We added roughly 1 ¼ tablespoon of fine sea salt.
- Serve: Serve hot. Enjoy~