Make this delicious Chinese Braised Beef Shank Recipe in the Pressure Cooker with homemade Chinese Master Stock 滷水汁! This flavorful and tender beef makes a great chilled appetizer or a warm main dish.
This Chinese Braised Beef Shank Recipe brings back a lot memories of my mom. My mom took a few years off from work to take care of us when my younger sister was born.
During that time, she was really into cooking. I mean SUPER into cooking. She would take notes as she watches cooking shows or listens to radio shows. Then, she would clip a lot of interesting recipes from magazines or newspapers and glued them into her notebooks or binders. The best part is that she would attempt those recipes one by one. Oh, so much delicious food!!
This one night, she made this Chinese Braised Beef Shank Recipe and our whole family LOVED it! She was so overwhelmed by all our praises for this dish that she started making this braised beef every night. Yeah, I’m not even kidding, we had it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for I don’t know how long!! Hahaha~ We do love this dish, but we had to be careful for what praises we give her ever since… 😉 Hehe~ Love you mom!
So, I seriously don’t remember how many times I’ve had this dish, but it’s definitely one of my favorite dishes from mom. 🙂
Ingredients for Chinese Braised Beef Shank in Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Beef shank
- Chinese master stock
Tips for Chinese Braised Beef Shank in Pressure Cooker Recipe
1. Buying Beef Shank: If you can’t find beef shank without bones attached, try to get them from an Asian super market.
2. Chilling in the Fridge: This dish is meant to be served as a chilled appetizer or main dish. So, after pressure cooking, set it aside to cool down, then chill it in the fridge. Chill it by submerging it in the Master Stock (as shown in the picture below) for at least 4 hours. It’s best to chill it overnight.
However, you can eat it warm too as it’s still delicious that way. Just a side note that it’s easier to slice when the beef shank is chilled.
3. Master Stock: Don’t throw away the master stock after using it to braise the meat. The flavors will just get better next time you cook with it.
4. Freeze the Master Stock: After using the stock, strain and set the stock aside to cool, then chill overnight in the fridge. When the fat rises to the top and form a layer of gel, skim it off, then freeze it for next use. A more convenient method is to use a fat separator to remove the fat, then freeze it.
5. Master Stock Storage Duration: You can store the stock in the fridge for 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Now it’s YOUR turn to take out your pressure cooker and make some Chinese Braised Beef Shank in Pressure Cooker!
Craving more? Subscribe to Pressure Cook Recipes to get our newest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Recipe type: Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, Main Course, Meat, Intermediate
Serving: 2 - 4
- 1 pound beef shank
- 1 ½ cup Chinese master stock
- Clean the Beef: Bring 2L of water to a boil. Then, boil the beef shank for 3 minutes to clean and remove the excess fat. Remove the beef shank and rinse it in cold tap water. We take this step whenever we make Chinese soups with pork shank or any other bones and meat.
- Pressure Cook the Beef: Place all the ingredients in the pressure cooker. Close lid and cook at High Pressure for 35 minutes, then Natural Release.
- Chill the Beef: This dish is meant to be served after being chilled. Set aside to cool down. Then, chill it in the fridge while being submerged in the master stock for at least 4 hours (best to chill it overnight).
- Serve: Slice it thinly, garnish with chopped green onions, and serve!
Looking for more beef recipes? Don’t miss our Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry.
Subscribe & Never Miss a Recipe!
Tested Pressure Cooker Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox Weekly. 100% Free
* Disclosure: If you decide to purchase items on this page, Amazon will send a small commission to support Pressure Cook Recipes at no additional costs to you. These commissions will help cover our operation costs to keep this site running. Thank you for your support!